118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ultimate EDpassion 150

Tuning to the max:
• 150 HP
• 270 Nm / 1.200 Nm (motor / wheel)
• maximum driving enjoyment

For 999 €*

Together with the community I'm currently developing a 150 hp tuning for the electric smart ED (BR 451). This will work for every model from 2012 to 2016 and would make your smart even more fun to drive.

In the meantime I have gone through the entire drivetrain of the smart ED and I'm convinced that up to 150 hp are possible. Of course, this does not improve its longevity, but that is also not the point of tuning. The HV contactors can handle the peak performance without any problems, the battery cells have been validated with 300A in at Accumotiv and the motor can already produce 110 HP ex works. Accordingly, it should still have room for improvement. The mechanics will be the weakest component. We have to try out what gears and drive shafts do with the massively increased torque and, if necessary, install reinforced parts.

The topic is still in the development phase, but has now come to a point where I would like to share it with you and discuss it here.

What has to be increased is the fuse in the battery. It's just a 225A fuse and thus allows only up to 100 PS, accordingly it is also clear that more than that is not easily feasible. Thankfully a 300A or 400A fuse can be installed easily.
The main sticking point is currently that the inverter has a software limit of 200A. You can fool it however you want, that's it's limit. That's why I've given an inverter to a local tuner. Since the inverter is from Continental, he is optimistic that it will get cracked. Continental combustion control units are no problem for him.

Interested?
Contact me via [email protected]
... also if you want to participate in the development.

You would rather be interested in an inexpensive tuning or just increase the range a bit?
Have a look at my blog, where you can find out everything about the 100 hp and regen tuning:
Tuning the smart ED3 to 100 HP or simply make it regenerate more?

* The tuning is still being developed, the price can vary.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,914 Posts
The Ultimate EDpassion 150

Tuning to the max:
• 150 HP
• 270 Nm / 1.200 Nm (motor / wheel)
• maximum driving enjoyment

For 999 €*

Together with the community I'm currently developing a 150 hp tuning for the electric smart ED (BR 451). This will work for every model from 2012 to 2016 and would make your smart even more fun to drive.
Personally, to spend $1,200 US on a $6,000 ED to have faster acceleration w/increased tire wear while reducing the 68 mile range would be of little interest.

While I will be lurking, have fun...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The range is going to be the same, at least when you drive it like you drove it before the tuning.

But of course, it's must be worth it to you. Nobody, including myself, is going to spend that amount of money, because it's a wise decision. When you spend that amount of money, you've decided it's worth it for you.

Reactions: MB DNA and jwight

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
What I would be far, far, more interested would be the possibility of enlarging the battery pack and more range. Yes. I know - the price would be so high that buying a higher range EV would be more feasible.

I like small EV's so I sure wish the Renault Zoe was available in the US.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I would be far, far, more interested would be the possibility of enlarging the battery pack and more range. Yes. I know - the price would be so high that buying a higher range EV would be more feasible.

I like small EV's so I sure wish the Renault Zoe was available in the US.
I'm checking this topic and trying. But it's going to take time. There's a lot of signals that need to be faked and safety features that need to still work.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Loading down this little car with extra weight makes no sense although it might be tempting to put an extra module on the back floor.
First modify an ED with open-source inverter board that will allow using custom Li-Ion battery packs, and then proceed to populating
the car with as many cell-packs as possible. But still you could do much worse than keeping the stock battery in its normal position,
which is very efficient use of space and weight, and adding more cells elsewhere.

We're going to have to cannibalize the fleet to get usable stock batteries from now on, unfortunately.
--

1 - 8 of 8 Posts