Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this be done?

Idea is to just remove the change drawer under the stock radio, slide in a equalizer to fit and connect as diagrammed. I don't think I would even re wire the stock speakers. Keep it so that the stock radio functions normal , and when I want extra thump power on the equalizer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There isn't an external amp in the stock set up, except if you have the optional subwoofer. Then that's only fort the sub. The wires to the speakers are at full power so an EQ just won't go inline. You could replace the head unit with something aftermarket that had an EQ built in.

I just put this unit in my smart the other day-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079J3W64K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has a built in EQ, navigation etc, etc.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am 100 years old...... it used to be that we would splice an equalizer into any thing in the dash. Tailored our sound and looked at the pretty lights on the slides. What happened? lol

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Last tube radio, I ever saw. Was in my Mom’s 1959 Chevy. I remember when you turned it on. It had to warm, before playing. They were never used, in any 80’s vehicles. Cars radios went solid state, all transistor, in the 60’s.

Equalizers were big in car sound systems, in the 1980s. My 1981 Toyota Celica had a OEM one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Were 1980's car radios tube radios?
80's car audio was Cassette Tapes that you recorded from Record Albums.
1985ish on CDs started to come out and car CD players that skipped...
90's car audio was CD and CD changers.
Go back even further and say 70's car audio was 8-Track :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had a $19 Ocean cassette player hooked up to my 74 Celica GT's stereo. Folks couldn't believe how good it sounded, I cheated and realigned the head to the deck I was recording my my tapes on.

But with todays double din car stereos with built in everything it seems to make more sense to just replace the stock radio. And pick up a kit to do the swap, this one has the faceplate and wiring adaptor though located in the UK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-ForTwo-Double-Din-Fascia-Panel-Adapter-Plate-Cage-Fitting-Kit-DFP-13-05-/400594755240

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE=wrumbarger;1653576]Seriously, how much sound do you expect in a smart car?[/QUOTE]

For unlimited money with no regard to factory look, you can put anything inside a Smart same as any other car. What I want is more, much more narrow in scope. I want the factory look retained. I will add tweeters non visible area very easy. I want to add a equalizer with eye candy lights on the slides (the pull out drawer under my stock radio is where I would put the right Equalizer there. Drawback would be that is currently the perfect place that holds my 8 inch tablet that I use for navigation, internet, and video media. So if its not the perfect equalizer of my vision I would leave the drawer in place.), and I want a small powered sub woofer all in a 300.00 budget.

I am only in the wish stage of this and have made no trips to any stereo shop yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts