Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 451 shifter will not move from park, button on lever is free. the car has been sitting for a year, battery was dead, jump with battery charger, started immediately, not warning lights on dash.

thx in advance joe

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
possible the bad battery is messing with the computers, Start with a new battery and good clean connections. Check the brake lights to make sure the brake switch is working.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after i posted my 1st thread the yellow warning triangle is on with abs light, can that also be part of the problem.

thx

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
If the battery voltage is low, you can get all sorts of error codes. At the least, charge the battery up fully and reset all the codes. If there is a problem, the code will return.

·
17,473 Posts
Yup yup, this is the very reason my 450 cabriolet is dead again. I accidentally forgot to tighten the positive lead on its battery. So when I was done reprogramming the transmission and finished admiring my work, me slamming the door closed was just enough to break the connection on the battery. I didn't learn what happened until three weeks later when I tried to drive the car and discovered that the battery was "dead". I finally got around to crawling through the boot to charge the battery and found my stupid mistake with the positive lead.

Oh my, these computers don't like being disconnected or on low juice for extended length of time. Oof.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well got the battery charge she starts on her own but i do not have the brake lights when i step on the pedal.

thx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts