Smart Car of America Forum banner

Erratic temp readings on Scanguage

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Export Guru 
#1 ·
2008 cabrio, 42k miles, Sarasota, Florida area - car used occasionally (about one week per month, 5 months per year) - new battery November, disconnected when not in use. voltage reads 12.6 to 14.2

Noticed the temperature readings on the Scanguage jumping around. Driving about 45mph, seemed to warm up normally (linear rise), to about 198 then suddenly down to 184 then back up to 196 then down to 182 then down to 178 then up to 188 etc. About 10-15 seconds between jumps. Then driving slower, about 25mph, held pretty steady at 198.

Any thoughts?

-Barry-

#5 ·
if you look at a regular thermostat it opens at 192 and closes at 180 so if the gauge is dead on there is a 12 degree in open to close then open again.

now your first reading was 198 to 184 a drop of 14 degrees
then 196 to 182 a difference of 14 degrees
then 178 to 188 a difference of about 10 degrees

so the unit is opening and closing between 10-14 degrees difference or an average of 12 degrees

the unit is designed for a difference of 12 degrees

so giving the accuracy of thermostat or delay in scanmauge reading your vehicle in my opinion is operating as designed

#6 ·
I agree, most likely normal. Here in the sunshine state, I have seen my temp rise to 204, followed by the cooling fan kicking in, and a quick drop in temp
on the scangage. That usually occurs during the lengthy redlights around here, and of course the I75 parking lot!!!

#7 ·
My 2008 Passion acts pretty much the same as yours for the temperature readings. On occasion mine drops to 163 but most of the time it varies between 200 highest with an occasional peak to 206 and 180 the lowest. I also live in Florida where I use the AC almost every day. Sounds like your smarties is normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.