Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great site you have here. I am trying help a Mexican girl with her; 2001 450 city coupe 600cc pure. Same old storey ESP comes on and cars shuts down periodically. Now I realize what the ESP and ABS do, and why people should never really tinker with them including for insurance purposes etc, but I am trying to save her money and she never drives outside her little Mexican nieghbourhood in the jungle.
So fuse number 11 was pulled in an attempt to disengage ESP, but the problem continues, so is it another fuse for that years model or the reluctor rings have to be changed.
Any help would be appreciated

Ross

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The 450 uses a different fuse for the Trust/ESP system. Does the light stay on as soon as the car is started or not until it is driven?

If it comes on right away, it is either a wire, Trust module or sensor problem.

Otherwise it may be a reluctor ring, visually one should be able to see if one or more of the rings are damaged.

·
Registered
84 Posts
esp problem

Any help would be appreciated

Ross[/QUOTE] My car did about the same thing, it would be ok for a few days then the abs light would come on , then the engine would go to idle, every thing else worked, , but coasted to walking speed, would not go up a hill, if you shut off the engine it resets the ecu , it may go for a ,mile or a few days, the sensor is near the brake booster under the front underneath cover, yaw sensor,has 3 wires , blue green and red or orange, bolted to the floor near the booster, with a 6mm bolt. you can unplug it to see if that stops the engine shutting off, but the abs light will be on , leonard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 450 uses a different fuse for the Trust/ESP system. Does the light stay on as soon as the car is started or not until it is driven?

If it comes on right away, it is either a wire, Trust module or sensor problem.

Otherwise it may be a reluctor ring, visually one should be able to see if one or more of the rings are damaged.
Thanks for response; The esp light comes on when the car shuts down usually during decelleration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To confirm, the ESP light comes on when you apply the brakes? Most likely a bad brake lamp switch.
Negative it comes on with out touching the brake! Usually when your driving and you see a light far up ahead and its going to turn red so you let your foot off the gas but dont touch the break but the car is slightly decellerating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ESP prob solved Thanks for your help

Simple paper clip worked in the OBD port! Felt like Homer Simpson working at the nuke plant..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts