Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
For one thing:

"Labels must be placed on E15 retail dispensers indicating that E15 use is only for MY2007 and newer vehicles."

So, the smart 2008+ models can run it just fine. According to the EPA. Except, I think the manual says no more than 10%, and I've read rumors that 15-20% has been measured in accidental overdosing situations and that amount has been tested to corrode certain fuel system parts.

"In order to protect the emission control systems of vehicles and engines, the Clean Air Act prohibits the introduction of fuels or fuel additives that are not substantially similar to the fuels or additives used in certifying vehicles and engines to emission standards. However, the Act authorizes EPA to grant a waiver of this prohibition for a fuel or additive if it can be demonstrated that vehicles and engines using the otherwise prohibited fuel or additive will continue to meet emission standards over their useful lives."

So, as long as it doesn't destroy the emissions control systems over the useful life of the car, the EPA doesn't care what Ethanol does to a fuel system. That's the manufacturer's problem. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i read an article in a classic Mustang club magazine where they tested 10% ethanol vs straight gasoline and found:
- increased degradation to fuel lines
- permanent staining of metal surfaces
-increased gumming of carburetors and injector nozzles (for EFI kits)

Now get ready for 15%!

Get ready for more expensive breakfast cereals, soft drinks (corn syrup)
If you have a classic car, boat, jetski Welcome to SOLville. population:YOU

·
Registered
240 Posts
ChiefMC: not in N.C. where shell is using 10%, according to what I was told at a station the other day. Have noticed that another Shell sta posted "may contain ethanol". Folks at first sta said they'd heard there were a few sta's not using it, but didn't know who or where.

If there are any Triad area residents that read this and know of any not using, pls let me know.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'll just stick with my Shell V-Power, top tier, 100% gas :D
Not in Fla.

The manuals on all three of our cars state 10% max ethanol.

I will not be ruining our cars by putting out-of-spec stuff on them. Couldn't care less what the government says.

Now of course if the government mandates 15% like they have mandated ethanol, then we'll be screwed... again...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
-Hey everybody, some of you found E0 heading up to the Dragon?
-What states close to Florida have Ethanol free gas?
-I'd rather buy a shedload of it and trailer it down.
-ARE THERE ANY LAWS AGAINST TRANSPORTING FUEL ACROSS STATE LINES?
...gonna start buying my gas off the back of a van like in Moscow on the Hudson.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I would think that if there is a demand for all- gas and that was brought to the oil company's attention, and if they could make a buck, they'd do it. There is a station in town that still sells leaded gasoline for older cars and off road use...

·
Super Moderator
28,770 Posts
Federal Government is making moves toward E15, 85% gas, and 15% Ethanol, an increase from E10.
The rest of the story:

In March 2009, Growth Energy (a coalition of U.S. ethanol supporters) and 54 ethanol manufacturers applied for a waiver to increase the allowable amount of ethanol in gasoline from E10 to E15. The waiver application included data on the impact of E15 on vehicle emissions, fuel system materials, and driveability. Additional data were developed by the US Department of Energy, which began testing of the potential impact of various ethanol-gasoline blends of motor vehicle emissions following enactment of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which calls for significantly increasing the amount of biofuels used in transportation fuel, EPA received over 78,000 public comments about Growth Energy’s application.

EPA is partially granting Growth Energy’s waiver request application. This partial grant waives the prohibition on fuel and fuel additive manufacturers on the introduction into commerce of gasoline containing greater than 10 vol% ethanol and up to 15 vol% ethanol for use in certain motor vehicles. More specifically, this action has two components. First, we are approving the waiver for and allowing the introduction into commerce of E15 for use in Model Year (MY) 2007 and newer light-duty motor vehicles, which includes passenger cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles.
The waiver request is from the Ethanol industry - no surprise. If E15 gas is produced, there is no mandate to use it. It certainly wouldn't be appropriate for our cars as pointed out by smart USA's limit of 10% Ethanol. :)

"We don't think it serves anybody well to rush the higher blends into the marketplace," said Gloria Bergquist, a spokeswoman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, who added more testing needs to be done on whether it hurts engines. "As automakers we built our vehicles to run on E10. You can't change the fuel after the car is made."
More corn (fuel) allowed in gas tanks - U.S. news - Environment - msnbc.com

·
Registered
474 Posts
not too worried

Because the EPA has authorized the E15 blend for 2007 and newer cars, how are the gas stations going to make it obvious to which pumps are for which? Adding new pumps is very expensive. All in all, there doesn't seem to be much economic incentive for gas stations to offer it, and if there isn't much demand from the public, the only way this pig will fly is if it is mandated for all cars. Perhaps by forcing a change in the nozzle shape, like what was done with the switch to unleaded gas, then only the newest cars would be forced to use E15. either way, not worried about.

Tom - stuck with E10 year round

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The EPA's going to require some form of labeling on the pump for E15. It's supposed to be clear, like the "10% ethanol" stickers you see now, but that doesn't mean the station employees do their job right, or that the tank gets the right stuff in it. 10, 15... it's not that big a deal if the delivery truck fills the wrong tank once or twice, right? Not like mixing in diesel, so they'll let it slide.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
With the mid-terms 3 weeks away, how did E15 get the go ahead when everybody is against it?

I read on motorcycle forums how even newer model bikes pee E10 on the garage floor from degraded seals and corroded lines (i know my 5 year old bike does)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Personally I would gladly pay extra for the pure gasoline without the Ethanol.... Unfortunately not an option here in Florida...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here are a couple links that you might find interesting. On the first one you'll see that there are huge tax breaks for using ethanol, so I would imagine they'll be bigger for 15%, which means we'll see it everywhere rather than 10%. Be sure to check out the home page, lots of good info. The second link shows stations serving ethanol free gas.

Ethanol Free Premium Coalition

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Here are a couple links that you might find interesting. On the first one you'll see that there are huge tax breaks for using ethanol, so I would imagine they'll be bigger for 15%, which means we'll see it everywhere rather than 10%. Be sure to check out the home page, lots of good info. The second link shows stations serving ethanol free gas.

Ethanol Free Premium Coalition

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Well hey thanks. I found 4 stations within reasonable distance. One is in Daytona Beach... Just in time for Bike Week this weekend. yeah!

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Well hey thanks. I found 4 stations within reasonable distance. One is in Daytona Beach... Just in time for Bike Week this weekend. yeah!
Watch it Pee Wee... I'd question the info on that site. Florida has a mandatory 10% blend for ALL gas. The only exceptions are for marine and aircraft... they can't sell to an automobile.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts