Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,304 Posts
Since most of my trailers use a 2" ball, I figured I would need to be able to switch from 1 7/8 to 2" from time to time, or I may just switch my 'baby trailer' to a 2" for convenience, so I stayed away from the euro mount. It does look interesting tho.

** not planning on towing any of my larger trailers but may need to move them around EMPTY***

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep all my trailers now use either a 2" ball or a pintle hook/lunette ring. It's more convienent. The euro is avail with a 2" ball. I have no intention of towing anything heavy with the Smart. But I would like to tow my solo canoe to a nearby county lake without having to use the truck.
This whole rig weighs almost nothing.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
A 2" ball is an invitation for the unknowing to try and tow too much. Switched all mine to 1 7/8 what with the smart and the Fusion having zero for a tow rating.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 2" ball is an invitation for the unknowing to try and tow too much. Switched all mine to 1 7/8 what with the smart and the Fusion having zero for a tow rating.
In many cases you are probably correct. However I'm not the unknowing and I try to avoid letting them hook up a 24' camper to my Smart!:D

I actually tow quite often. My towing is normally done with one of my trucks. But I have confidence the Smart can handle that canoe for short trips.It's easier for me than loading it on the roof for a quick trip.

I have no need to put a heavy load on the Smart. I have a truck, SUV, and a tractor for that.

·
Super Moderator
11,304 Posts
My reason for adding the hitch to my smart was to move the 'baby trailer' (40x48) with the kayaks down to the water or cabin. trailer weighs 60 lbs, with both kayaks, around 130lbs, so they should be no problem for the smart. Occasionally we may toss a cartop carrier on the trailer and haul lawn chairs or a suitcase or two on a long trip. But that will remain to be seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts