Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter totaled her 2001 European Imported Mercedes Smart 450. She loved it! We have been waiting weeks for the insurance company to determine a value for the car. Does anyone have a clue what this car is actually worth? It had original Mercedes Emblem on it. Not the smart emblem. It had 46 thousand miles on it as well. Will post pictures if someone can help that would be great! Also had European tag mounts. I have never seen one like it and insurance can't find one like it. She is currently driving my car so I would love to get this resolved! Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sadly, insurance payments are not what you think the car is worth. Their pay outs are based on the the market value. They are going to look for comps on the open market and base it on what John Q Public could get for one if he sold it on Auto Trader or the want ads.

The decision to total is based on the salvage value of the car. I'd wager that an old Smart has very little salvage value. If the cost of the repairs plus the salvage value of the car are greater than the cash value of the car, it's going to get totaled.

I'm sure the reason they are having trouble is based on the fact that you can probably count imported 2001 Smarts on one hand.

I feel your pain. It's not fun...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly!! We can't find another one like it... same year model.. With 46000 miles anywhere! Newer Smarts are a dime a dozen it seems.. but the European Import early models in the U.S. are rare. Which apparently doesn't increase the value from what I have been reading on the forum. I am not even sure what a Grey market car means??

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am not even sure what a Grey market car means??
Grey market just means a European manufactured car for use in Europe that was legally imported and converted to meet US specs. Usually, that is the speedometer, emissions, headlights (sometimes), and bumpers (must meet the US standards)...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If she decides to buy a new smart, keep a copy of the registration from the old one.

There is a "Loyalty" bonus that will take $1000 off the price of a new smart (just need to show the registration from the old one)

Some dealers have even been known to match the Loyalty bonus with another $1000 to close a deal (especially the last few days of the month)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. I emailed the lot in Europe to see if they could put a value on it if they sold it now. Hope someone speaks English because I am not even sure where the lot is located. Also.. There are still a lot of good parts on the car. If anyone is interested in salvage.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Exactly!! We can't find another one like it... same year model.. With 46000 miles anywhere! Newer Smarts are a dime a dozen it seems.. but the European Import early models in the U.S. are rare. Which apparently doesn't increase the value from what I have been reading on the forum. I am not even sure what a Grey market car means??
Your 2001 EURO smart 450 may have preceded the G&K conversion process? For a price, G&K would make changes such that an imported smart 450 would meet DOT and EPA requirements. Said modifications to a 2004, 2005, 2006 gasoline Passion, Pulse or Pure would then allow it to be imported into the United States and registered in 45 states.

You may want to see if they can assist with your valuation?

G&K Automotive Conversion, Inc.

As it is not likely a G&K conversion, someone managed to sneak this grey market smart 450 over the border and registered/licensed it on a dark rainy night into a state that wasn't dotting their I's and crossing their T's?

A 2001 smart in the U.S. remains a niche vehicle for which parts are scarce and your local M-B or smart dealer will refuse to service. Your 13 year old smart is not so much grey or "rare" as it is an orphan?

smarts in the U.S. prior to the 2008 model 451 introduction will be GREY MARKET cars, requiring specialized modification before importation, registration and licensing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. I will contact them for a valuation. Maybe they will help. Also the loyalty program adds value! She was very lucky. The car did exactly what it was supposed to as far as protection! !!!! She just had some bruises and a slight concussion. She loved her car. We hate it happened. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You might find a buyer for parts if you join the Mexican forum, as there are a lot of 450s in Mexico, but I think only from 2004 to 2007. We own a 2007.
Try smartclubmexico.com and if you do not speak Spanish, go ahead and post in English.
Of course, there is also a seldom used Mexico chapter on this site, where you could duplicate your notice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I kind of want to keep it. Hahaha. I can read and write Spanish. Can't speak it. I am too redneck. I will try that. Gracias.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts