Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Big Thanks to Kane and his Evilution Guide.

DIY: Euro Taillights Conversion.

Disclaimer:
Use these instructions at your own risk. I will not be responsible for fried SAM, broken taillights, melted harness, or any other stupid things people might do to their Smarts. I am also not responsible if you cut yourself, burn yourself, electrocute yourself, or sustain any kind of injury while working on this project. In other words, I will not be responsible for ANY kind of injury or damage (physical, mental, spiritual, whatever) that occur during the process of converting your NA Smart taillights to Euro taillights.
:)

That is how I end up buying Euro Taillights.
I decided to smoke my stock lights with "Nite Shades" (tinting paint).

Result was not too bad, but far from perfect. So I decided to order new Euro taillights from Smart Madness. Very fast shipping and pleasure to deal with. :) Will recommend them to anyone and look forward to get more stuff from them in the future.

It took me some time to figure out the best way to implement this mod.

Here is the problem, our smarts have different wiring then Euro smarts.
Instead dedicated wires for the blinker and stop light, we have only one wire. Because of that, our SAM unit programmed differently and we have two additional relays.

Relays located behind the SAM unit and not easily accessible.

Here is two simple drawings on how to wire "EURO taillights" I created, so you will have basic idea what I am talking about.

You will need to tap "taillights turn signals" from the side markers or headlights turn signals. Brake lights are tapped from "Third brake light". If you want, you can also wire rear fog light (left taillight). It is fun to scare tailgaters with it!!!!!!!

I tapped in to the harness right after the realys, but If I did it again I probably just tapped in the headlights turn signal and then run the wires back into the cabin thru the grommet. To do it the way I did you will need to remove the SAM (not just lower it, but unplug it completely). Also there is very limited space over there and it is pain in the butt to solder.

Black/white wire - LEFT
Black/green wire -RIGHT

Wires connected to the SAM (connector N11-9).
If you try to tap before relays (right after the SAM unit), you will get both Brake AND Turn Signals.
Relays have 4 clearly labeled contacts (2,4,6,8). You need to tap to the wires coming out from contact 2.

This drawing is only for the TURN signal wiring.

DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANY ELECTRICAL WORK!!!!!!!

To replace the taillights you will need to remove rear panels. Evilution site will guide you thru this process.

Electrical part of the taillights are identical (they even have the same part number)

TO BE CONTINUED......

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is relays I was talking about.

After you tapped in to the front harness (soldered and wrapped in electrical tape), you will need to run wires in to the back of the car to the left taillight.

Here is the harnes for the left taillight you will need to mod.

You will need to add one pin to the plug and replace another one.
I went to the local junk yard and got the harness from the 3rd Gen Passat. Pins are not perfect match but work very well. To pull the pins out I used dremel. Just slice the plug and remove the carefully.

To open Smart plug and remove the pins, use small screwdriver and push the plastic tab up slightly. Then use two wires to push the tabs on the pin so it will slide out.

You will find 3rd brake light wire (Black/red) in the left taillight area (next to the blue water hose). You will need to tap in to that wire for your brake light.

TO BE CONTINUED

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also you can leave reverse light wires alone or disconnect it from the left taillight (so you can use the rear fog light).

Now you will need to run two wires from the left taillight to the right one (one for the turn signal and one for the brake light). There is two way to do it.
Under the carpet or thru the roof. I used roof path.

You will need to unclip (sp?) some of the panels.

Soldering and connecting right taillight plug is the same as the left one.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU SOLDERING ALL THE TAP POINTS

Also instead electrical tape I used tape called "cold shrink tape". You can buy it in most Auto Parts stores. You cut small piece and then stretch it. When wrapped around the wires it melting on itself.

On the scale 1 to 10 (1 is easiest, 10 most difficult) I would rank this mod 7

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

CUBE

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you just take the relays out of line and then tap the third brake light?

I did an export tail lamp mod to my GMC Sonoma back in 2004 and I ran wires all the way from the front of the truck only to realize later that if I had cut one wire all I had to do wat tap the third brake light wire at the rear of the truck.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Resurrecting another zombie mod thread:

Hey Cube! You've got every functional wire ID'ed except your running lights... Did you have to rewire the OEM lamp wire to keep your rear running/parking lights, or do they ocupy the same terminal in the plug for the Euro lamps as they do for the OEMs?

IMWTK...

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hmmm. I just want the rear fog light. No need to change the whole rear lamps as I don't mind the red turn signal. I'll just buy a red bulb for the fog light function. I wonder how to.......

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hmmm. I just want the rear fog light. No need to change the whole rear lamps as I don't mind the red turn signal. I'll just buy a red bulb for the fog light function. I wonder how to.......
That should be a real easy mod...

The single rear fog light is always on the driver's side.

Looking at cubefx's picture from above, you can see the connector for the left tail light. He has labeled the pins, so you will need to extract the 'reverse light' pin, looks to be the yellow wires with a red stripe. Place a piece of heat shrink over this pin to insulate it from shorting to anything, as it will not be used.

Order a replacement pin from your Mercedes dealer. These pins are used in other Mercedes models, so they should be readily available for a couple dollars each. I *think* the correct part number is 011-545-76-26 or 011-545-77-26. I believe the only difference between these two numbers is the wire gauge which they accept. It should look like this:

You will need a crimp tool of this type in order to properly attach the pin to a new wire.

Run the other end of this wire forward and connect it to your fog light hot wire. This way when you turn on your fogs, the rear fog light will also illuminate... at least that is how I remember them working on the VW's I drove in Germany back in the 80s.

Install a red bulb in the former left backup light and you are good to go.

It is also easy to undo this mod should you ever wish to do so.

~toaster

Note to mod... I see this thread is in the 450 section, but those sure look like 451 tail lights to me!

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
So I have been looking at the wiring diagrams. Looks like you could pull the two relays and short pin 8 to pin 2. (My wiring diagrams are a year old and are incorrect in places.). To be continued....

All signals should be there, at the SAM. The challenge is combining the rear signals into one. Wonder why smart decided to do it....

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I have been looking at the wiring diagrams. Looks like you could pull the two relays and short pin 8 to pin 2. (My wiring diagrams are a year old and are incorrect in places.). To be continued....

All signals should be there, at the SAM. The challenge is combining the rear signals into one. Wonder why smart decided to do it....
I tapped my brake lights into the third brake lamp. So I only had to run one wire from the left rear to the right rear. Simple. All of the wiring for the turn signals I did up at the SAM. Just lots of confusion, studying wiring diagrams, scratching heads, and tapping wiring. But it works!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just found this topic.
I plan to do euro spec to us spec tail lights mod.
If I unterstand right you us spec smarts have 2 extra relais?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. But I think the extra yellow is beneficial safety wise and will you not get into trouble?
don,t now I orderd a set us taillights over here
But I just read here about the relais so maby the sam is eur and us spec the same en not posible to reprogram to us spec. so only these relais do the work?
Ok your us smarts don't have a indicater wire that had suprised me that mercedes saved that out.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I have the wiring diagram on the computer at home. I will check it when I get a chance. (I hope today/tonight)..... It should be easier for you to go this way. All the wiring is there.....

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The relays are right next to the SAM. They combine the signal and stop light function in the US version. So when you stop and signal, instead of just solid red the corresponding side will blink. I think they are simple SPST relays, with brake and signal connected to the opposite ends of the inductor coil, and output connected to the bulb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The relays are right next to the SAM. They combine the signal and stop light function in the US version. So when you stop and signal, instead of just solid red the corresponding side will blink. I think they are simple SPST relays, with brake and signal connected to the opposite ends of the inductor coil, and output connected to the bulb.
Ok
Offcourse I will do my mods such OEM as posible I don't want to blow my SAM offcourse
Maby you got the oem part numbers and from the bracket or a vin from a us spec smart so my dealer have a easyer search.
I have now stil wait to better wetter and my parts now.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Left: A 451 820 05 64 C98Y
Right: A 451 820 06 64 C98Y
L Carrier: A 451 820 03 77
R Carrier: A 451 820 04 77
L Sealing Frame: A 451 826 01 58
R Sealing Frame: A 451 826 00 58

The carriers of the bulbs should be the same as yours already...

Your smart is a little older now, may be good to replace the sealing frames....

My VIN before my smart was wrecked: WMEEJ3BA0DK633846

It is for a Coupe, not Cabrio though.

(I miss my Smart)!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks

yes i can order the sealing than if nessery depends what came with my new used light units
INext i wil figure out about the relais

1 - 20 of 20 Posts