Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Smartpeople,

A couple of months ago i dropped a question regarding the conversion off a european Smart car. I live in Europa and my wife lives in Los Angeles. Next month I will come to Los Angeles with my car for a short vacation. After that I will give the car to my wife (is it possible to drive and own the car there)? Or shall I convert the car to the AMerican standard. Otherwise I will sell it as it is, does anyone know if there is a market for that. Will people buy a European Smart if so what will be the price than. Thanks for you reply!!!

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
You can contact these people: G&K Automotive Conversion, Inc.. They can tell you what is legally possible and the costs involved.

Depending on year (Gen 1 or Gen 2) and model (CityCoupe, pure, passion, pulse, Brabus, etc.) there may be different cost factors and valuations. A Gen 2, 84ps turbo pulse or a Brabus will have increased value here. Any diesel may not be possible at all.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think that you will find the expense and the hassle quite prohibitive. If it were easy, there would be lines of Americans at Mexican and Canadian dealers and taking the Smarts back to the USA.
You may certainly take your car to the USA and drive it there, but you will not be able to register it in the USA. So, as long as you maintain your foreign registration, licence, passport and address; you will probably be OK. However, you could never sell the car in the USA either & that means that you couldn't even give it away.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There have been other discussions on importing Smarts from Europe. Here's a link from the NHTSA (highway safety arm of the US Department of Transportation) Frequently Asked Questions section:

I want to import a vehicle. Who can help me?

Call the Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance at 202-366-2832. Questions about importing specific vehicle models can be answered through the Gray Market Vehicles department at (202) 366-5308. Additional information is also available at: Vehicle Importation Regulations

1 - 4 of 4 Posts