Smart Car of America Forum banner

581 - 600 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The key is don't lose the part #. The two dead EDs for sale are/were at Beverly Hills MB. I know from the past that around here they are the cheapest. Rich get richer and poor poorer. Their own parts comes up with discontinued. I found that on nemigaparts.com kindly shared by moderator Len a long long time ago. This morning when I tried again I could not find the part #, had to use my history. Hopefully one can find it locally it is 175 kg (not sure where I saw that but)...

Regarding the core it just means most of it is reusable/reused...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I just chatted online with these folks, all they can do is call me back or email to confirm order. So it may work, who knows??

I'll drive my core to Bev Hills and pick up the reman. Even if it only has a 2 year warranty, LOL.

The dead car is still up on blocks as per avatar so hope this deal is for real.

VR. PNW USA
--
The parts guys there are swell it's a 3 hour drive with bad LA traffic, but I've made the trip because of their pricing.

I would have hoped you could have sourced one more locally maybe even San Francisco?...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Appears to be a some conflicting information?

Obviously either the cost or the Core Charge is incorrect?

“Remanufactured” yet Condition: New?

HazMat: This part contains hazardous materials. Extra shipping costs apply.

These additional charges usually include the appropriate safe handling crate/pallet and shipping by a specialized carrier.

Tried to force a shipping quote but failed, doubt it would be FOB?
It can't possibly be new if they collect a core charge/core. Most of the time dealers will not ship hazmat I'd be very surprised if they did. I would think getting it locally would be much cheaper than shipping.

I did see the part in other online MB/smart dealer web store(s). I think the next closest price was $78x.xx. So being from LA may be a white lie. I wouldn't care I really like that they don't mark up prices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have spoken to the parts manger at MB of BH and they are telling me that when they look up the part it is 'no longer available'. They are checking with MB corp to see if they can get better optics into what this really is or was....I will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have spoken to the parts manger at MB of BH and they are telling me that when they look up the part it is 'no longer available'. They are checking with MB corp to see if they can get better optics into what this really is or was....I will let you know what I find out.
Update...not available and has been updated on their website to show that....DOA guys!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
They allege it is remanned locally in LA so it could be picked up at MB Parts in BevHills in person in lieu of shipping, hence my FOB conclusion. They, the special team, haven't gotten back to me yet, not holding my breath. I had chatted online with the special team and talked to Parts. Parts said they were remanned in LA but I don't think Parts had much experience with this process.
--

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
They have great customer service. (I've helped my immediate family procure parts there.) I'll continue crossing my fingers for you guys...

·
Registered
32 Posts
The key is don't lose the part #. The two dead EDs for sale are/were at Beverly Hills MB. I know from the past that around here they are the cheapest. Rich get richer and poor poorer. Their own parts comes up with discontinued. I found that on nemigaparts.com kindly shared by moderator Len a long long time ago. This morning when I tried again I could not find the part #, had to use my history. Hopefully one can find it locally it is 175 kg (not sure where I saw that but)...

Regarding the core it just means most of it is reusable/reused...

This is a bit off topic but I noticed the thread that was created by the person who was selling the two Smarts EDs was seemingly deleted. Was there a reason why? I was curious to see what his asking price was and when I went back to the thread it could no longer be accessed.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
This is a bit off topic but I noticed the thread that was created by the person who was selling the two Smarts EDs was seemingly deleted. Was there a reason why? I was curious to see what his asking price was and when I went back to the thread it could no longer be accessed.
He didn't post it in the classified section so I guess the moderators deleted it. Can try to private message him...

·
Registered
32 Posts
He didn't post it in the classified section so I guess the moderators deleted it. Can try to private message him...

Thanks for the information.

Per your advice I sent him a private message - it he responds with the price he sold the two Smart EDs for I'll add it to this thread in case anyone else is curious what the market is for "bricked" Smart EDs. Thanks again for your information and I hope you have a great weekend.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Save your "bricked" EV_Smarts!! Even if you don't spring for the $12,600.00 reman hv batt from MB there is hope that these can be liberated and run directly off whatever Li-Ion battery & inverter combo can prove successful. Max value for a dead car with dash showing: "mechanical" is $2500.00 and that is for an otherwise perfect, low mileage car.
--

·
Registered
32 Posts
Save your "bricked" EV_Smarts!! Even if you don't spring for the $12,600.00 reman hv batt from MB there is hope that these can be liberated and run directly off whatever Li-Ion battery & inverter combo can prove successful. Max value for a dead car with dash showing: "mechanical" is $2500.00 and that is for an otherwise perfect, low mileage car.
--
Thanks for sharing your thoughts concerning the market for "bricked" Smarts EDs.

I never heard back from the member who posted about the two Smart EDs he was selling - I was definitely curious to hear what he thought was a "cheap" price.

Concerning a non-cheap price, here's a link to a Craigslist ad in Southern California that's been running for almost a month: 2014 Electric SMART ForTwo - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

They're hoping to get $3900 for a bricked Smart ED that they bought at auction over a year ago. It looks like they must have bought the vehicle at Copart and are now trying to pawn it off to some poor soul with the story that the HV battery just needs to be "unlocked."

Concerning the other thought in your post, it would be interesting to see if someone could create a HV battery swap option for the bricked Smart EDs that used a recycled OEM battery - maybe the Fiat 500E as an example? There's a business in Phoenix that's breaking down the 500E battery and selling portions to people who want to replace the lead acid batteries in their golf carts with Li-Ion.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've picked up a prius gen3 inverter to hopefully drive my 2014 bricked Smart. See <openinverter.org/forum>. Since this 3-function inverter is a lot to squeeze into a Smart my next plan is to replace the logic board in the bricked Smart's original inverter with an open board and attempt to work out the soft/firmware issues. In any event I do NOT want to separate the smart motor/inverter; best to leave them physically mounted together. Another approach currently being explored by others is to modify the Smart VCU and leave the inverter intact, but this might prove to be wishful thinking. One guy on the forum has used the prius inverter which he put inside the battery box (!!) and installed a generic collection of cells (needs to be > ~200v) and gotten his smart to run. I could use this approach to create a true city-car with only ~25 miles range and speed max of 30mph and be quite satisfied even if the entire back floor is filled with Li-Ion modules etc. The groceries could fit on the passenger seat. :)
--

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I’ve actually suggested to @jacktheripper to possibly make a product for all the smart ED folk, and he actually offered to help me with my dead smart ED. (Suffices to say I didn’t buy a dead smart ED). I’m sure he’s hesitant because he isn’t getting much love over on PriusChat but he’s definitely a potential source of a replacement battery from what I can tell:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I’ve actually suggested to @jacktheripper to possibly make a product for all the smart ED folk, and he actually offered to help me with my dead smart ED. (Suffices to say I didn’t buy a dead smart ED). I’m sure he’s hesitant because he isn’t getting much love over on PriusChat but he’s definitely a potential source of a replacement battery from what I can tell:

Wow, just read through every post in that thread. “Jack” is obviously trying very hard to make not just a replacement for the Prius battery but one better than the original. Some folks seem to glorify in having and voicing doubts about everything. “Jack” is trying to bring a new product to market and has shared a lot about its development but you can’t expect him to give every little detail away. Sure hope he can provide help for the EV smart!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 smart passion fortwo with EV dead battery., Do you know if anyone has been able to remanufacture the battery. The battery from the mercedes has an outrageous price.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have a 2014 smart passion fortwo with EV dead battery., Do you know if anyone has been able to remanufacture the battery. The battery from the mercedes has an outrageous price.
You found one? Most say discontinued sadly, which is even worse...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Remanufacture not really but refurb and repair.
Every thing is possible from replacement of stacks up to replacement of single dead cells. It is all about the effort. The BMS or current sensor is also not an issue anymore.
There are no new cells available, but there are several sources where you can get really got cells with > than 51Ah.

and you should know dead is not always dead. Sometimes we can play Frankenstein :)

There should now also the necessary knowledge in US. At least i know a few which have the knowledge.
So more or less feedback your status of the bad battery and maybe someone could help you.

In Europe it seems there are several whch work on the batteries. This is the reason why a lot of cars are exported to eastern Europe.

581 - 600 of 610 Posts