Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When getting an electric Smart are we stuck with Bosch as the provider of the EV Charger or are there other choices? Several electricians have suggested there are other choices but not given me other names, just standards. They all agree that Bosch EV chargers/service are as expensive as their dishwashers.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Clipper Creek and TurboCord are two popular and relatively inexpensive options. Try a search on this site to find existing discussions, and also do a Google search for those two brands. You'll save a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
How much does an EV increase your electric bill? In Mexico, and probably some other countries, a tiered rate system with higher rates for higher consumption would make an EV really expensive. We use as few KwH as possible, cook with gas, heat water with solar, use only CFL for lights, etc. No EVs here.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
How much does an EV increase your electric bill? In Mexico, and probably some other countries, a tiered rate system with higher rates for higher consumption would make an EV really expensive. We use as few KwH as possible, cook with gas, heat water with solar, use only CFL for lights, etc. No EVs here.
You'll want to check your utility bill to find out how much you're charged per kwH. Assuming a dead 17kw battery, you'll use your formula to determine approximately how much it costs you to recharge your battery.

At that point, you'll have an idea of how much your utility bill will increase if you determine how many miles you'll drive per month (and/or how often you'll charge the car throughout the month)

Another tip: EPA estimates the smart EV will consume 32kw's per 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The Keba MB keeps pushing is expensive, other Bosch devices are not. I would avoid the Keba, as it has proven to be incompatible with the smart ED. The PowerXPress by Bosch is actually quite nice, and reasonably priced. There are plenty of options though. Pretty much any J1772 EVSE that's 220V and 13 Amp or better is fine for the smart ED.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The Keba MB keeps pushing is expensive, other Bosch devices are not. I would avoid the Keba, as it has proven to be incompatible with the smart ED. The PowerXPress by Bosch is actually quite nice, and reasonably priced. There are plenty of options though. Pretty much any J1772 EVSE that's 220V and 13 Amp or better is fine for the smart ED.
The KEBA charger is the oem charger that all smart and MB dealers have been using in service and sales departments. It is definitely compatible with smart EV's. I have used it just about everyday for over a year now...

·
Registered
527 Posts
When getting an electric Smart are we stuck with Bosch as the provider of the EV Charger or are there other choices? Several electricians have suggested there are other choices but not given me other names, just standards. They all agree that Bosch EV chargers/service are as expensive as their dishwashers.
Thanks
This is the least expensive EVSE available to charge a Smart ED that I am aware of, and it's a brand that is known to work well with the Smart ED.

At $395 the LCS-20 Boldly Breaks the Price Floor in the EV Charging Market | ClipperCreek Blog

Personally, I've exclusively used the 110V EVSE that came with the Smart ED as my commute is only 40km round trip with side trips included, so I recharge every few days overnight.

But if I was going to buy a 240V EVSE, I would buy the one I linked.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
^ The only problem I see with that one is that it requires permanent installation, no? The big thing that I liked about the TurboCord is that it requires no installation, just plug-and-play. And you can take it with you. But I'm new to this, and don't even have an electric vehicle yet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks
I think they mostly all cost about the same around $400-$600.

I got the Bosch EL-51253 from Amazon. We have it plugged in to a NEMA 14-50 outlet that we had installed in anticipation of Tesla or other higher power electric cards in the future.

·
Registered
56 Posts
^ The only problem I see with that one is that it requires permanent installation, no? The big thing that I liked about the TurboCord is that it requires no installation, just plug-and-play. And you can take it with you. But I'm new to this, and don't even have an electric vehicle yet.
You can buy the Clipper Creek/Sun Country Highway unit with a plug to make it portable if you prefer. When I bought mine there were 4 plug options available. I chose to hard wire mine as I don't plan on moving it and this reduces likelihood of theft. I have been using it for about 3 months without problems. In The Garage Category | ClipperCreek Vehicle Charging Station

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The KEBA charger is the oem charger that all smart and MB dealers have been using in service and sales departments. It is definitely compatible with smart EV's. I have used it just about everyday for over a year now...
Perhaps "incompatible" is the wrong word. It's been found to be a "poor match", because the two were never tested together, and have issues that exacerbate each other, preventing them from reliably working together as expected.

There are definitive pairing issues with the Keba and the smart, as detailed in a thread I wrote for the 6+ months I owned one (two actually, as Bosche changed out my initial Keba thinking it was a defective unit). This was confirmed with MB, with Bosche, with engineers at smart, and at several dealerships where they were installed. To the point that Bosche offered a full refund, or replacement with a different model made at one of their other facilities.

What was the issue in a nutshell?

The US Keba EVSE dislikes when a car stops charging without signaling. (e.g. Current draw drops to 0 before asking the EVSE to turn off). The smart had a fault (in the V8 software) where it would do this repeatedly during Charge and Depart when using the actual AC to cool the cabin. The smart still does it occasionally if you lock or power-down the car at just the wrong time, even in the latest V9 software. (Repeated console clicking/flickering after power-down, etc.)

The end result is that it's exceedingly easy to get the Keba into a state where it stops charging, flashes red, and requires a power-cycle. A pain, considering the a device is hard-wired with no external power or reset switch. This happened two to 5 times a week in my garage, and the dealer in Buffalo noted this happens a couple times a week on their Kebas, to the point that the front desk secretary knows where the breaker for the chargers is at.

The V9 software may have corrected part of the problem. But a big part of it was the Keba itself, in that it never forgets seeing a "fault" and after 5 faults flashes red until a hard reset. It may not happen as often with the V9 software update, but it's still there unless Bosche repaired this issue in latter builds. By contrast, I've never had this issue with the PowerXtreme charger (also from Bosche), nor the L1 charger that came with the smart.

If you're happy with your Keba, I'm happy for you. But everyone I've known (dealers and individuals) who's worked with the Keba and smart have advised against it. My dealer currently suggests the PowerXtreme or a L2 charger available at the local Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Perhaps "incompatible" is the wrong word. It's been found to be a "poor match", because the two were never tested together, and have issues that exacerbate each other, preventing them from reliably working together as expected.

There are definitive pairing issues with the Keba and the smart, as detailed in a thread I wrote for the 6+ months I owned one (two actually, as Bosche changed out my initial Keba thinking it was a defective unit). This was confirmed with MB, with Bosche, with engineers at smart, and at several dealerships where they were installed. To the point that Bosche offered a full refund, or replacement with a different model made at one of their other facilities.

What was the issue in a nutshell?

The US Keba EVSE dislikes when a car stops charging without signaling. (e.g. Current draw drops to 0 before asking the EVSE to turn off). The smart had a fault (in the V8 software) where it would do this repeatedly during Charge and Depart when using the actual AC to cool the cabin. The smart still does it occasionally if you lock or power-down the car at just the wrong time, even in the latest V9 software. (Repeated console clicking/flickering after power-down, etc.)

The end result is that it's exceedingly easy to get the Keba into a state where it stops charging, flashes red, and requires a power-cycle. A pain, considering the a device is hard-wired with no external power or reset switch. This happened two to 5 times a week in my garage, and the dealer in Buffalo noted this happens a couple times a week on their Kebas, to the point that the front desk secretary knows where the breaker for the chargers is at.

The V9 software may have corrected part of the problem. But a big part of it was the Keba itself, in that it never forgets seeing a "fault" and after 5 faults flashes red until a hard reset. It may not happen as often with the V9 software update, but it's still there unless Bosche repaired this issue in latter builds. By contrast, I've never had this issue with the PowerXtreme charger (also from Bosche), nor the L1 charger that came with the smart.

If you're happy with your Keba, I'm happy for you. But everyone I've known (dealers and individuals) who's worked with the Keba and smart have advised against it. My dealer currently suggests the PowerXtreme or a L2 charger available at the local Home Depot.
I suppose. The occasional hiccup with red light flashing and refusal to charge has been remedied every time by turning the breaker off and back on again. I wasn't aware doing that was such an issue with owners of the Keba charger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts