Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Smart People,

My name is Paul and I am a new Owner of a preowned 451 electric. Question for you, I would like to upgrade the radio and wonder if anyone has any experience with upgrading to the OEM model with navigation if I were to find one on sale used.

Any other options too. Thank you for your combined smarts.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I assume you mean the "highline" OEM satnav? I have one and once the car is off lease its coming out. Its "ok", but I'll be happy to install something more modern.

One nice feature of the OEM unit is that it is a resistive vs a capacitive touch screen. Most units are capacitive, but the resistive ones will work fine while you are wearing gloves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know if the wiring is in place to upgrade to the "highline" if the standard radio was in the car at sale?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Does anyone know if the wiring is in place to upgrade to the "highline" if the standard radio was in the car at sale?
Depends on what was in it. See Various radio pinouts

The highline install has, besides the door speakers, a pair of tweeters near the front window on top of the console and also a "subwoofer" under the drivers seat. You may be missing those, or need to add them. There's also a GPS antenna somewhere.

I'd suggest you buy an aftermarket unit and add what you need.

AFAIK, all the factory radios use ISO speaker connections.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I believe the highline radio was also available without the surround sound option (tweeters in sail panel or subwoofer) but could be mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Get a good after market radio with the appropriate wiring harness adapters and don't bother using any of smart's radio...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts