Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All 😊

First time posting to the forum but I have used it as a welcomed reference from before we bought our 2015 Smart EV. 😁

So we haven’t had a complaint (other than a short-lived dead 12V battery once) until the other day I went to drive the car and it beeped like normal and the messages “EV System Workshop - Engine System Off” came up.

I’m not sure if it was coincidental but the service countdown was on (down to 10 days left) and the 12V battery was almost discharged - a 5 year old battery problem I’m guessing.

I cleared the service count-down and put a trickle charger on the 12V overnight but no dice this morning. The messages “EV System Workshop - Engine System Off” still appear and the car is inoperable.

I would love to purchase a 451 battery reader if they are still available but other than that any thoughts from this great community? 😁

Cheers,
Joel.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,936 Posts
Joel, welcome to SCoA.

Sorry that you didn’t find our sandbox BEFORE the dreaded “EV System Workshop - Engine System Off.”

Service countdown or Mileage Minder is not causal as it is days/miles driven and will not create any codes or error messages.

Your “Cheers” may soon change to something more negative as likely your 5 year old 12 volt dropped below minimums and the HV Battery “discharged” leaving you with a sled?

Your “local” ex-smart Center may be able to diagnose but case history is not on your side!

Do keep us in the loop as you endeavor to bring ED back to life...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply!
I meant to say that the HV batteries seems to be ok and staying at about a 60% charge state. Do I understand it correctly that I should use a trickle charger to keep the 12V battery topped up to avoid the dreaded sledding?

Luckily there is Competition Motors nearby and they have a MB tech so I may just need to get the car to him for a reset.

Either way I shall keep the forum posted if there is any helpful information that can be gleamed from this harrowing tale 😊

Cheers (for now)😊
Joel.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,936 Posts
Ah, more info is good and may provide you with a better end result.

Any particular reason that you are NOT replacing the 5 YO 12 volt - ED’s WEAKEST LINK?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the response 😊

That may be the next step indeed. We have an extended coverage plan (outside of MB’s coverage of course) so whatever the mechanic tries should be covered and that may be the suggestion I make when I book it in. Any problems associated with using a generic H5 battery to replace the original battery? At $700CDN I don’t think I will electing for a lithium H5 but a regular H5 was $200 at the local parts shop.

Booking now and will keep all y’all posted 😁

Cheers,
Joel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts