Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The smart still isn't stable in any way at high speeds especially when its windy. Got blown into the lane beside me on the freeway going about 70. Luckily there were no cars around. Also had that happen a few times in my gas smart and it was even worse with no power steering.

So screw the freeway, back roads and city streets for me. :alien:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
ATTN: IF your smart is getting blown all over the road?

RELAX YOUR GRIP on the wheel ! ! !

It is a short wheelbase vehicle. It responds instantly to any input you make at the wheel.

IF it is windy, and you overcorrect, guess what, you are all over the road?

RELAX your grip and let the smart do what it was designed to do. YES, you may feel a little buffetting in the wind, but the smart will stay on track without you trying to fight it?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are unable to keep the smart in it's lane, I would question if you should be driving at all.

Lol.

It isn't exactly "easy" to keep the smart in its lane when your going 70+ on an open freeway with constant winds blowing at you from the side.

When the winds aren't blowing as much the smart does fine on the freeway. But im just saying that it's no different in the ED with its extra battery weight down below at high speeds compared to the gas smarts (when its windy).

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Rears all the way around

The smart still isn't stable in any way at high speeds especially when its windy. Got blown into the lane beside me on the freeway going about 70. Luckily there were no cars around. Also had that happen a few times in my gas smart and it was even worse with no power steering.

So screw the freeway, back roads and city streets for me. :alien:
Running the wider rear wheels all the way around really helped stabilize my smart on the highway with strong side winds. You may want to consider this for your car.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Running the wider rear wheels all the way around really helped stabilize my smart on the highway with strong side winds.
True that but remember that such a mod may be detrimental to your ED range?

Probably the single most affordable ICE mod that only makes the car BETTER!

:bigthumbup:

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
True that but remember that such a mod may be detrimental to your ED range?

Probably the single most affordable ICE mod that only makes the car BETTER!

:bigthumbup:
I will second that opinion! :)

I never saw any noticeable hit on my gas mileage after swapping to ever larger than stock rims and tires on all four corners, so it may work out on the ED as well. However, I'd make sure to stick with low rolling resistance tires if an ED owner did upgrade. That might make more of a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts