Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all -

We've finally pinned down the date and the details for our drive from Portland to the Falls.

Please PM me with your rsvp.

I hope to see everybody there!

Portland Area Smarts Spring Gathering

What: Spring Run from Portland to Multnomah Falls
Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009
Time: 10:30 - 2:00 or later *
Where: Meet and greet at smart Center Portland.
Details: After coffee and greetings at scpdx, we’ll drive to Multnomah Falls via The Historic Columbia River Highway.

Plan on rendezvous in the parking lot of Multnomah Falls at 12:30.

This will give us plenty of time to enjoy the sights along the way. We’ll have plenty of opportunities to have our pictures taken in one of the most scenic spots in the Pacific Northwest. Return to the city or….*After visiting the falls, enjoy lunch or a brewery tour or just exploring the gorge. (Ideas below)

Driving Directions from Smart Center Portland to Multnomah Falls.

Smart Center Portland
9215 SW Canyon Rd
Portland, OR 97225

Start address: 9215 SW Canyon Rd Portland, OR 97225
End address: Multnomah Falls Oregon

Start at: 9215 SW Canyon Rd Portland, OR 97225

1. Head northeast on SW Canyon Rd/OR-8 toward SW 91st Ave - 1.6 mi
2. Take the ramp to US-26 E - 338 ft
3. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Portland/US-26 E and merge onto US-26 E - 2.9 mi
4. Take the exit toward The Dalles/Salem - 0.3 mi
5. Merge onto I-405 S - 0.6 mi
6. Take the exit onto I-5 N toward The Dalles/I-84 E - 0.9 mi
7. Take exit 300 to merge onto I-84 E/US-30 E - 16.1 mi
8. Take exit 18 toward NE Jordan Rd - 0.2 mi
9. Turn left at NE Jordan Rd - 0.5 mi
10. Turn left at Crown Point Hwy/E Historic Columbia River Hwy - 17.7 mi

Arrive at: Multnomah Falls Oregon

Web Resources

Smart Center Portland
smart center Portland - smart fortwo - Official smart center website – new smart car – pre-owned smart car – smart car finance – smart car service

Historic Columbia River Highway (maps and historical information, photos)
Historic Columbia River Highway

Multnomah Falls (Official site)
Multnomah Falls & Historic Columbia River Highway

* After the falls we’re on our own, Here are some ideas for lunch.
McMenamin’s Edgfield, Troutdale
Edgefield Homepage brought to you by McMenamins

Multnomah Falls Lodge Restaurant
Multnomah Falls Lodge

Crazy Pepper Cantina, Hood River (Mexican)
The Crazy Pepper Cantina and Mexican Restaurant

Elliot Glacier Pub, Parkdale (Pub food, beer)
Elliot Glacier Public House

Full Sail Pub, Hood River
http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/FullMenuFoodFrnt.pdf.

Full Sail Brewing Tours
Full Sail Brewing Company | Events | Handcrafted Ales and Lagers in Hood River, OR

More Hood River links
Welcome to Hood River, Oregon

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Terri and I should be there. We may join you for a night at the Comfort Suites, Dune! Hopefully we'll be over this "bug" that we've got by then!!! Sounds like a fun get-together!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hiya Suze,

Brent and I will be there. I love McMenamin's Edgefield - a brewery, winery, distillery and spa all in one place!

Erica

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a dry run out to the falls today. Hey, what's a 3-day weekend for? Anyway, it was anything but dry. But still gorgeous! All the falls were bursting. I'm really looking forward to this!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ready to launch to SCP owner base?

Suze,

Are you ready to launch this info to the owner base? If so, I can coordinate with Kate. Lemme know.

Also, some of our clients are not on SCOA. How would you like them to RSVP? Do you want them to RSVP directly to you or would you prefer if Kate collects them and forwards them on to you?

Very exciting...count me in...

THANK YOU for coordinating!!!

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Suze,

Are you ready to launch this info to the owner base? If so, I can coordinate with Kate. Lemme know.

Also, some of our clients are not on SCOA. How would you like them to RSVP? Do you want them to RSVP directly to you or would you prefer if Kate collects them and forwards them on to you?

Very exciting...count me in...

THANK YOU for coordinating!!!
Fantastic! It's great to have dealership support. :)

PM Sent!

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all -

We have 10 smarts signed up already!

The gorge is gorgeous and this is sure to be a great day, rain or shine.

Remember, when taking the Historic Columbia River highway east from Portland, you end up in a different parking lot than if you take I-84.

Relax, I know we'll all want to be together, so I'll bring the maps! :)

:burnout::smartje.rd.zw:. :smartje.wt.zw:. :smartje.bl.zw:. :smartje.rd.zw:. :smartje.zw.zw:. :smartje.bl.zw:. :smartje:... :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Remember, when taking the Historic Columbia River highway east from Portland, you end up in a different parking lot than if you take I-84.
Some of us will have to drive a little more...:D

Either the east smarts will drive more west to turn around or the west smarts will have to drive a little more east to turn around...:)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The gorge is gorgeous
...and the highway is highwayous.

The Historic Columbia River Highway (highway? it's a cattle path!) is lots of twists and turns. It may be a very attractive ride but I don't have a great desire to munch on Dramamine in the morning.

The parking in the I-84 straddle is more ample, isn't it? A turnaround from the tiny road to the highway is about 3.8 miles further along

OR

we could take our chances with the Historic Columbia River Highway parking lot by having those of use who are excessive twist-and-turn challenged hop on eastbound 3 miles early at Bridal Veil Rd (exit 28) and the westbound folks can get to that parking lot via exit 35 - the Historic Columbie River Highway exit for less than 4 miles of tiny roadway.

The scenic loop for eastbound travelers begins in Troutdale and is quite a pretty drive; just something I don't want to do often thanks to my tempermental tummy.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, well, its really not as complicated as its starting to sound... :)

Those meeting at smart center will get written directions. Or you can PM me if you need a little help.

The rendezvous point at the Falls is the southern parking lot, accessible by the Historic Highway. 12:30

Yes, you can take I-84 and exit from either the east or the west, following signs to he Historic Columbia River Highway and park at the Multnomah Falls Lodge.

The road is in very good condition, a wee bit of construction, nothing major.

Yes, John if Dramamine does the magic for you with no ill side effects, it might be worth it for the beauty of the old road. Can I count you in?

Mikie - you guys are in too, right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
We'll be there! Meet you at SCP!

Hopefully be able to find you. Oh that's right you're the one in pink!:cool:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
They can find her from space. I expect google-earth sitings of her car in a year or two when new imaging makes it online from the Portland region.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
The Historic Columbia River Highway (highway? it's a cattle path!) is lots of twists and turns. It may be a very attractive ride but I don't have a great desire to munch on Dramamine in the morning.
Come on John! That road is fabulous! If a flatlander like me can enjoy it ... oh, wait, you're a wannabe flatlander ... nevermind! :p

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
It is a fabulous road. Lucky for people like me, the 3+ mile stretches to either side of Multnomah Falls to I-84 is pretty straight road. We can meet at the Historic Columbia River Highway parking lot via the scenic loop, I-84 eastbound, or I-84 westbound.

I've had hills all my life - flatlanding will be different.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We've now got 24 smarts signed up! Thanks, smart center Portland for the email sent! :yelclap:

This is going to be a lot of fun. :D:):D

Ncc - we'll miss you on this one, but are counting on your participation later in the spring or summer. yeah?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, well, its really not as complicated as its starting to sound...

Those meeting at smart center will get written directions.
Suze, now you expect us to read?:confused:

I hope I can just follow the leader!:eek:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Until the leader makes is through a short yellow light and doesn't notice you're lost back there thanks to distractions of the awe and beauty of the gorge.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts