Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With every report focusing on the safety of the smart fortwo it is inevitable that there will be debate but I want to know what the general opinion around the forums are.

Are you worried that the smart fortwo is less safe then any other small sized vehicle? If so, why?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Crash test today in news said that on the side impact test, drivers door opens on impact. 4 stars for head on, 3 stars for side impact, 3 stars rear end crash. Drivers and passanger could be ejected from vehicle. This

worries me. Someone on this fourm also said that their drivers side mirror shakes along with many others here on the fourm. This is not good also. I have never owned a vehicle that has the side mirrors shake. This to me would be a safety issue.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The mirrors don't shake. The car is small. I wouldn't want to get hit by anything at high speed, but I used to own a Toyota Landcruiser and I got rear ended at high speed by a VW beetle and my car was a mess. My back hurt, we were thrown violently backwards, and that darn VW didn't even have the airbags deploy, and the driver was fine. So I learned alot about well built small cars that day. But I also learned you don't want to get hit by anything. So I drive defensively, watch out for nuts, and try to have a good time and not worry too much.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My first car out of college, a Chrysler Cirrus, had mirrors that shook... so did my wife's Sebring Convertable.

The mirrors on my Fortwo coupe do not shake.

I think every report from the US Media is negative for one reason or another. Possibly advertising dollars from Detroit, resistance to change, or to appease Joe six pack and his 10 MPG Tahoe. :p

·
Registered
168 Posts
my mirrors don't shake, I have over 10 yrs in autobody repair experience. I've seen a lot of different wrecked vehicles , including a vehicle like an 1976 cadillac sedan deville with a longgggg front end (at the time considered to be one of the safest cars) owner crashed into the back of a parked car at approximately 35mph , he died. I've seen the crash test videos on you tube and MBZ videos, I am not worried. Paying attention to what you are doing, and being a DEFENSIVE driver is the most important factor.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not worried that the Smart is less safe then other small sized vehicles.

No mirror shakes, or milkshakes in the car :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I feel the car is safe and small enough to avoid some accidents. My worry is this will give the insurance companies a excuse to rasie their rates.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Feel Its Safe

I feel the Smart Car would be one of the safer small cars I have owned.
VW, Honda Civic, Geo Metro

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
My car is and has always been tight as a drum! I am a very defensive driver and have 40+ years of training being so having had small cars most of my life. I am not the least bit worried about how I would fare in an accident in my smart....less worried than when I am in my S-2000 and I've averted many a bender in the last 8 years. Training is everything. When driving many places in Upstate NY, one gets accident aversion training by default just missing the deer crossing the roads! Running into one of them worries me as much as being hit by another car as they can enter the cab via the front windshield, still alive, and do all kinds of damage with their very strong, flailing hooves....and horns.....:(

And as for shaking mirrors on cars...PHEW! Can't tell you all the cars I've had with those...not the smartie, though.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Things sure seem to have a way of getting blown out of proportion around here. As far as I can find there is a single report of a shaking rear view mirror, hardly an indication of a systemic problem. In addition, the crash test results for the smart were better than the vast majority of cars tested.

Sure one ought to exercize defensive driving skills. But for God's sake people the results that were posted wre good! What would you be saying if the results had been poor?

So much ado about nothing!!!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Afraid no, but with so many huge vehicles out there with massive power, driving at speeds that possibly exceed the vehicles agility, I'd say a concern for the physics of an impact with them is healthy and realistic. What interests me is going to be how the public responds to the hype of when our vehicles do inevitably become involved in accidents, injuries and regrettably fatalities. I hope the back-lash is not as severe as the pessimist in me anticipates.That would be unfortunate.

·
Registered
596 Posts
First for the record my outside mirrors don't shake either. A little buzzing as I go up through the gears but for heavens sake this is a 1 liter, three cylinder, high reving motor and the vibration harmonics are fierce. I think they did a great job. Get a life people, have you always driven your father's Olds?

As to safety. I daily drive a 6000#+ diesel Excursion to work, I own and am rebuilding a 19,450# Kenworth T2000 to carry a smart and tow a 22,000# fifth wheeler and that is a light weight compared to a loaded 18 wheeler. I think if I were to be hit by a loaded semi at speed I would rather be in my smart than that in my Excursion because in the smart I would get away from all the whiners here rather than being a vegetable for life because the Excursion folded around me and face reading all these sob stories on boards like this from people that need to experience some living.

OK off my soapbox. Does it worry me, sure I am more careful, but not because of some silly stars. It is a little car and there are big things out there. I have owned six cycles and drove defensive on those and that was before soccer mom's on cell phones.

I was in one head-on in a '58 Chev Impala and one roll-over in a CJ-5 Jeep. I was a rider in a '57 Ford as it hit a deer, accidents are no fun, so no matter what, drive safe.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Worry is interest paid on something you'll probably never own. I'm enjoying my smart and didn't buy it because of what others thought. It has a sound reputation from a solid company and a decade of history- smile :) be happy!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the cabrio, no mirror shake here. No harmonics on the paddle shift, either. It's smooth as butter, and I am happy as a bug with those paddles.

I did take a moment to watch about a dozen YouTube crash test videos today, just to reassure myself, since we anticipate putting both kids in Smarts.

My dad and the janitor were watching over my shoulder, and were shocked at how the Smart "gobbled up" (their words) the Fiat, and amazed at how the safety cage was intact after that 70mph crash.

You'd have to be foolishly driving way beyond the car's capabilities to roll a Smart, imho, unless you got clobbered from the side like the Mercedes t-bone test. It could happen, but there is a serious accident a week on the corner in front of my insurance office (yeah, go figure, I know), and I've seen little cars demolish big ones and vice versa. Our corner is littered with car bits.

If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen regardless of what you drive, and I'm comfortable with our choice.

I don't feel like I bought a Corvair by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Super Moderator
28,913 Posts
Corvair?

"I don't feel like I bought a Corvair by any stretch of the imagination."

Please, let's not perpetuate that myth any longer; I've owned a total of 3 of those cars and they were as safe (or no more unsafe) as similar cars of that period. They were maligned by the unknowing, just as the smart seems to be today. Off soapbox now. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts