Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my scoop last week, but did not have a chance to install it till Sunday. I got it from Smarsrus Ebay store for around $90 shipped.

Smart Car Fortwo For two 451 Evil Twin air intake on eBay, also Other Exterior Styling, Exterior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 19-Aug-08 18:40:18 BST)

They only list silver one, so I contacted them if they can list one in black. Very promptly I got reply from Ben saying that I should just buy silver scoop and they will ship me the black one. Got it here in less then two weeks. Scoop made out of shiny ABS plastic my guess will be somewhere around 70mil (maybe little less). Plastic is matching black tridon cell very good. Silver metal mesh is glued to the scoop. Also included self tapping screws and Evil Twin sticker.

Scoop is attached to the Smart with six self tapping screws (#2, 1/2"). I painted silver mesh with black automotive paint and covered with a clear coat. IMHO screws is a little bit too small and I might to replace them with #4 screws. I also touched up screws tops with black paint sharpie. I DO NOT expect any performance improvements and bought it for looks. I considered BPP air scoop , but I liked Evil Twin design a little bit better.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

And do not forget to vote to nominate Smart as a "Car Of The Decade". I will appreciate every vote. :)

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...-temporary-stickie-vote-required-dated-13547/

CUBE

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just received my scoop last week, but did not have a chance to install it till Sunday. I got it from Smarsrus Ebay store for around $90 shipped.

Smart Car Fortwo For two 451 Evil Twin air intake on eBay, also Other Exterior Styling, Exterior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 19-Aug-08 18:40:18 BST)

They only list silver one, so I contacted them if they can list one in black. Very promptly I got reply from Ben saying that I should just buy silver scoop and they will ship me the black one. Got it here in less then two weeks. Scoop made out of shiny ABS plastic my guess will be somewhere around 70mil (maybe little less). Plastic is matching black tridon cell very good. Silver metal mesh is glued to the scoop. Also included self tapping screws and Evil Twin sticker.

Scoop is attached to the Smart with six self tapping screws (#2, 1/2"). I painted silver mesh with black automotive paint and covered with a clear coat. IMHO screws is a little bit too small and I might to replace them with #4 screws. I also touched up screws tops with black paint sharpie. I DO NOT expect any performance improvements and bought it for looks. I considered BPP air scoop , but I liked Evil Twin design a little bit better.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

And do not forget to vote to nominate Smart as a "Car Of The Decade". I will appreciate every vote. :)

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...-temporary-stickie-vote-required-dated-13547/

CUBE
Will look into getting one. Really GREAT!!! p1nball:cool::cool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looks good but I wonder if some 3M doublestick tape would hold it there? Just trying to keep from having to put holes in the plastic.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good but I wonder if some 3M doublestick tape would hold it there? Just trying to keep from having to put holes in the plastic.
Unfortunately, tape will not work on this particular scoop, but if you do not want to drill holes you can get Breathless Performance scoop. It is attaches to the car with 3M doublesided tape.

Our Products at Breathless Performance

CUBE

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do the screws go into the body panel or do they screw into the edge of the black vent? Not sure I want to run screws into the body panel just yet.

Donovan

·
Registered
459 Posts
I plan on buying this one also, I purchased the BPP version and didn't think it would hold up with 3M tape.

If the Evil Twin Scoop came in Carbon Fiber it would look even better. I would use Stainless Steel screws.

If anything, it does look really good, and it should keep the engine area a bit cooler. If the air is plumbed into the airbox there might be a performance increase with forced air.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am more interested in lowering the operating temp in the engine bay. I plan on spending some quality time under the car this weekend in an attempt to find a way to increase airflow to cool the area some more.

Dink

·
Registered
241 Posts
I also plan to wrap the exhaust system in fiberglass wrap when I install a new exhaust which will also help lower the temps and increase exhaust efficiency.
Does anyone make an underdrive pulley for this engine yet? I will contact a buddy of mine who makes them for a few other compacts and see if he is interested in working something up for me.

Dink

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do the screws go into the body panel or do they screw into the edge of the black vent? Not sure I want to run screws into the body panel just yet.

Donovan

Screws runs into the body panel. I like scoop a lot and do not think that I will remove it any time soon, so I do not have a problem with holes. :)

CUBE

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Further to Dink's question, do/can you remove the original black vent?
I`m not sure, probably Kane (aka Evilution) can answer this question better, but it is looks that outside vent is part of the air intake duct and cannot be removed easily. But I might be wrong.

CUBE

1 - 20 of 34 Posts