Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my new lady friend has talked me into a holiday (a rare occurrence) so I'm going to be in New York from Monday 20th to Friday 24th of January. Staying in the Affina.
She's going for the shopping. I'm obviously not going for the shopping as I'm a man.
So, local people. What do you recommend doing whilst we're there?

·
Super Moderator
28,535 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip - see a Broadway show, visit the local smart center, eat some pizza, try some deli food, get tickets to the Daily Show or Colbert Report, etc, etc. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I could help ya if you were coming to Los Angeles...but I don't know jack about new York. I could probably start with renting a smart fortwo for transportation.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I was in New York and paid $3 for a can of soda. It is not cheap.

I would recommend the Freedom Tower and the World Trade Center Memorial. I am not sure the museum is open yet.

There is also the Intrepid Museum. I am not sure of the hours but one can check it online.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Take the double decker bus tour of Manhattan including the boat ride to see Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. It is inexpensive and very inclusive. The night time tour is fun as well. The next day take the tour that goes to Central Park and Harlem. I am a do it yourself tour guy but driving in New York City is a pain and expensive. You can see everything briefly from the tour bus and go back on your own if it tickles your fancy. The art museums are great.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Definitely go up on the Empire State Building and please go to MOMA. When I lived there I never went to see the Rockettes at Rockefeller Center or go to the Statue of Liberty. This may be of interest to you.
Then let's not forget the (MET) Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Guggenheim Museum. There is Chinatown which is bordering Little Italy, etc. We also visited the UN, yet that was with our school, but it was very interesting too.
Then on 47ST is the diamond center where the stores are open on Su mornings. I bought camera equipment and many other goodies there too.
Just remember to be conservative in your purchases by knowing what certain items cost in the home country.
ONE final word, read up on scams, etc., for tourist are always welcome in big cities where they try to separate you from your money. Do have a ball...

·
Registered
344 Posts
WTH? No one is mentioning Little Italy? Biggest advice that I was given on my first trip to the city.... Plan in advance, otherwise you'll waste hours/days trying to figure out what you want to do. Any newbie should hit the park and museums as well as Rockefeller center. Ditto on the 9/11 site. While I enjoy the Broadway shows, the Off and OFF OFF Broadway shows can be a hoot. The Chelsea Piers host a variety of recreational activities for all types of sporting stuff. And you can't deny the fun in Chinatown.

One of my favorite restaurants not in Little Italy is Il Vagabondo | Il Vagabondo They even have an indoor Bocce Court!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mate come to Greenwich Village,,,you will spot my iceshine and another one as well! The highline, gallery district, bowery, museums, and see the old restaurants of Greenwich Village for sure,

·
Registered
763 Posts
SoHo has some great restaurants and then you can swing into Rice to Riches for dessert. (Like the Baskin Robbins of rice pudding - lots of flavors and they are only in New York.)

When I lived in the UK I suggested people take a tour when they visited London and then go back to the places that interested them the most and spend some real time. So, I might second that for NYC. No matter what, plan on coming back because you can never see it all, and you'll undoubtedly find out some things you would have liked to have done or seen when you are boarding the plane home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts