Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! :)

I bought my Smart 451 Pure 2010 this summer. In the past month I started to notice it getting louder around the exhaust. Last weekend I removed the rear bumper to see what's going on and I saw that the flex pipe is rotting out. I also noticed that a welding job had already been done (poorly) on the top elbow that connects the flex to the catalytic converter. There is now a hole the size of a dime in it.

I was wondering if you know a place I can buy the elbow. I already found the flex pipe (1 3/4" x 8") at Napa for around 30$ (CAD).

I included a picture I found online to show the elbow that is problematic.

Thanks a lot for your help! :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,304 Posts
My guess is you can get a good muffler shop to fabricate one for you at the same time they replace the flex pipe. smart doesn't sell that part separately. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point. I'll stop by a muffler shop this week to see what then can do.

Did someone on here have had this kind of issue? If so, how much was the fix (without replacing the whole exhaust assembly like the dealership wants to do :p)?

Nick

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
a common problem with the exhaust. Shops tend to charge differently and they do need to be able to weld on stainless. the flex pipe is fairly common size. The only tough part is the indexing and getting the length correct.

another option is to find someone who has converted to a center exhaust or aftermarket and see if they have the old one laying around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'll make sure to ask if they already worked on a Smart car before.

I did look on Craisglist/Kijiji for a used exhaust system, but I didn't find any that are less than a day drive away. My best bet will be a muffler shop then.

Thanks for the help! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts