Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am the weld an exhaust kind of guy as opposed to changing out the whole thing. My exhaust just got loud so I assume a crack.
Where do these things usually fail? Its pouring out & haven't got a chance to look. Anyone have luck with a Meineke type muffler shop for repairs?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Usually the flex pipe breaks at the exhaust pipe/muffler connection. Muffler shop may can weld it back or replace the flex pipe and weld back to muffler. Search site for more info on flex pipe.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Keep in mind that the pipe is stainless and it takes some skill and equipment to weld it in place, plus it has to be in the correct position or you won't be able to mount it back on the car. Make sure the repair shop can handle it. They will most likely have to remove the rear clip which will add some cost.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've replaced the flex pipe by just removing the lower valance as suggested above by jwight.

If you want better access you can remove the entire rear clip. The center section does not come off by itself, it is attached to the rear fenders and must be removed as one piece. The side skirts will need to be removed first before the rear clip can be removed.

~toaster

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, well, as it turns out the center piece does come out by itself if you speak its language. Havent put it back in yet. The center piece needed to be out to weld the flex pipe. Now will reassemble. Saved me a bunch of money disassembling. Whole job cost $200 so that's pretty good.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hmmm, well, as it turns out the center piece does come out by itself if you speak its language. Havent put it back in yet. The center piece needed to be out to weld the flex pipe. Now will reassemble. Saved me a bunch of money disassembling. Whole job cost $200 so that's pretty good.
Do tell? :oops:

No really, do tell us how it comes out!

I could have used the extra space when replacing my flex joint as it was mighty tight when tacking it together.

~toaster

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just loosened the fenders to give wiggle room. Then unclipped the center piece. It had a mushroom fastener per side but I just cut them with flushcut snips and it came out. Reverse it for reinstall.
I don't see how it could be welded at the top without the bumper removal. You couldn't get all the way around it seems. The Meineke guy agreed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Question: Does anybody in here have ab idea what the pipe would cost for a 2016?
(Mine is getting a bit loud at times... not sure if it needs replacing yet.)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As stated in this post its the flex pipe that fails and I just had it done for $200. My brother replaced it on his 09 for @$600.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Be aware though that many shops & muffler guys wont touch them due to concealed location of pipe. Or if they do they will charge you for all that time it takes to dismantle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just loosened the fenders to give wiggle room. Then unclipped the center piece. It had a mushroom fastener per side but I just cut them with flushcut snips and it came out. Reverse it for reinstall.
I don't see how it could be welded at the top without the bumper removal. You couldn't get all the way around it seems. The Meineke guy agreed.
Be aware though that many shops & muffler guys wont touch them due to concealed location of pipe. Or if they do they will charge you for all that time it takes to dismantle.
FROM LADYDUCK:

Hi! My flex pipe broke on my way home from a 3 hour drive. I knew it got loud, but had to continue the rest of the way home. When I looked at it, the tail pipe had melted the bumper! It's a perfect hole that looks like it was cut out to fit! My local repair shop put on a new flex pipe and mounted muffler back in place. It only cost $135, and a pretty half moon hole in the bumper!.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I am the weld an exhaust kind of guy as opposed to changing out the whole thing. My exhaust just got loud so I assume a crack.
Where do these things usually fail? Its pouring out & haven't got a chance to look. Anyone have luck with a Meineke type muffler shop for repairs?
Here is a list of materials that I used when I replaced the flex pipe on our 08 and smarts.
Material
Quantity
Source
P/N
Size
NOTES
Exhaust Gasket​
1​
smart​
132 142 00 80​
-​
Found on Ebay​
Stainless Steel Hex Cap Course​
3​
Menards​
87500​
6MM X 12MM​
For Heat Shield​
Stainless Steel Split Lock Washer​
3​
Menards​
232-0283​
1/4"​
For Heat Shield​
Stainless Steel Hex Cap Course​
2​
Menards​
87510​
8MM X 30MM​
For Exhaust Flange​
Stainless Steel Split Lock Washer​
2​
Menards​
232-0284​
5/16"​
For Exhaust Flange​
Permatex Anti-Seize​
1​
Various​
80078​
-​
Apply to all bolt threads​
Walker Flex Pipe​
1​
Advance Auto Parts​
41793​
1 1/4 X 8"​
If replacing Flex Pipe only (Requires welding onto old Muffler)​
Muffler​
1​
smart​
132 490 00 15​
If installinng a new Muffler (Found on Ebay)​

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are the steps I used:

1. Remove side skirts
    1. Remove two pop rivets in front of each rear tire using tack puller.
    2. Pull each side skirt towards rear tire to disengage.
  2. Remove rear hatch door
    1. Disconnect right cable brace with T25 wrench.
    2. Remove two hatch hinge nuts with number wrench.
    3. Place rear hatch door in rear of vehicle.
  3. Remove rear fenders and panel.
    1. Remove two T25 screws in front of both left and right rear tire.
    2. Remove two T25 screws on left and right side of hatch opening.
    3. Remove one T25 screw in center of rear panel.
  4. Remove crash bar.
    1. Remove two T40 bolts on each side of crash bar.
    2. Remove one T40 bolt on the left side.
    3. Let crash bar down several inches on the left side for access to muffler bolts.
  5. Remove muffler
    1. Use penetrating oil on 3 catalytic converter shield bolts and the 2 muffler bolts.
    2. Remove all 3 catalytic converter shield bolts using an E12 socket.
    3. Remove 2 muffler bolts using an E39 socket wrench

The next time I do this will try just removing the center rear panel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
if you do not fix this broken flex pipe...it will eventually ruin your air pump.....ask me how i know....i am on my 4th one now and am at 160,000 miles........still original muffler though,,,,ss

1 - 20 of 24 Posts