Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! 09 Smart Fourtwo...what's a good exhaust that will increase hp ?.. and do you think I need intake too?

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! You'll probably get more effect (meaning not very much) from a cold air intake than an exhaust. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
my first exhaust system, +25%, cold air intake, 15%, goPower, 25%, mag wheels, 20%, loprofile tires, 10%, LED dome lite, 10%. Now somewhere near 800 HP...:cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like the way the stock exhaust sounds. I considered getting an after market, but you don't need an exhaust. Just go into manual mode, rap out the revs and the smart sounds like a race car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Certain engines are not meant to be made louder. My old 2006 Viper was one. It sounded like a 62 Falcon straight six with no muffler after new mufflers. Fast but sounded like ass. My Shelby sounds mean and good with new mufflers. I think the Smarts sound cartoonish with after market exhaust. A 3 has a funky exhaust tone. So does a V6 which is two banks of 3. My Viper was two banks of 5. It's something to do with odd numbers of cylinders per bank..

·
17,342 Posts
I think the Smarts sound cartoonish with after market exhaust.
I beg to differ. :D

My video is the best representation I can make for the sound of the exhaust. It sounds rather lovely in person. It has the raspy burble of an Italian hot hatch and the grunt of a German hot hatch.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Most of us old guys grew up around V-8's, race cars, boats, etc., and thats the sound we know and love. Went to SEMA once after I bought a V-10 to see what the after market guys offered. All they said was cut off two cylinders and change the firing order! V-6's and V-10's just don't work for me unless its an F1 at above 12,000 rpm
Smokey Yunick used to have a trick to make an OFFY (4) sound like a screaming V8, but that was way back...

·
17,342 Posts
I remedied that by getting rid of the stock air intake resonator. In its place is a 3" dia rubber hose. The sound is MUCH deeper without that little tractor tone. The overall note was also vastly improved as well.

Though at the time of filming, the engine was completely stock other than the exhaust. :)

My channel trailer does have a more updated exhaust note...

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I put on the cold air intake and silicone tube from smart Madness (Boesch has the same kind) and left the stock exhaust on and feel the sound is fantastic. Maybe a bit faster but it certainly sounds faster when accelerating but no drone on the highway. Try that (far less $ than exhaust) and you may opt to not change your exhaust. If you need an exhaust change I have a Sila exhaust that I got from smart Madness that has never been used that I can sell for a good price but I would try the intake and silicone tube before leaping to the exhaust.

·
17,342 Posts
How loud is the Smart inside with an aftermarket exhaust?
Depends on the chosen exhaust.

The DTH (I wouldn't even recommend DTH to my worst enemy) and the Genius (mine) are the loudest ones on the market. They're very loud, the noise pierces the cabin and all hope of quiet travel to your destination is lost.

Now, that shouldn't completely discount the Genius, you could buy some sound deadening material and install it in various places. You could potentially quiet the car down to even quieter than stock!!! :D

The other ones on the market are the Carlsson, the Solo, the Brabus, and a couple other exhaust systems that range from really quiet, to moderately loud.

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
How loud is the Smart inside with an aftermarket exhaust?
Pretty quiet until you fire up that 3-cylinder 70 HP fire breathing monster!

You are sitting on the engine compartment and the body is plastic with no sound insulation.

To try to put it into perspective, think P-51 Mustang . . . :wink:

Been running Breathless exhaust for 5 years - can you hear me now? :bigthumbup:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah, I even took off my intake. I didn't need it any more now that I have the sound from the exhaust. Plus I got tired of cleaning the filter every couple of weeks.
The one thing I do notice is quicker shifts and cooler intake temps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts