Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my car today and started driving to work, and I noticed an odd noise. I was kind of concerned that it was an engine issue, but it doesn't really sound like it would be one. Also briefly thought maybe drive train, but it does it in neutral, too. I'm starting to lean towards something to do with the exhaust since it kind of sounds like... It's hard to describe.... But like a whiny rattle that is always present and it's loudness is linked to the engine rpm's. Figured I'd ask here to see if anyone might know what is causing this.

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/6poqVMpxUEc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well... At least now I know, and can update this thread. If you have a 453, and start to hear that same wine/vibration that varies with your rpm's, chances are your main drive belt for your engine is starting to fray. Was on my way home from work last night, and that noise turned into a kind of flapping noise. At the dealer now so they can fix it... Assuming they have the belt in stock. Hope they do, cause I don't want to have to drive it any further than I already have with a failing belt.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Well... At least now I know, and can update this thread. If you have a 453, and start to hear that same wine/vibration that varies with your rpm's, chances are your main drive belt for your engine is starting to fray. Was on my way home from work last night, and that noise turned into a kind of flapping noise. At the dealer now so they can fix it... Assuming they have the belt in stock. Hope they do, cause I don't want to have to drive it any further than I already have with a failing belt.

Interesting! How many miles on your car? My ‘16 goes in this Friday for an assortment of electrical/computer gremlins. I’ll ask for the belt to be checked.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting! How many miles on your car? My ‘16 goes in this Friday for an assortment of electrical/computer gremlins. I’ll ask for the belt to be checked.
47,000. Unfortunately, it's not covered under warranty (belts, hoses, etc...) Because it's a wearable part.... But I can't believe that ANY car would have the main drive belt just FRAY out of nowhere as if "normal"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts