Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I bought a used, 2008 Smart Pure coupe about three weeks ago, and I'm loving it (in really nice shape, 20,000 Km), but I'm wondering if it might have an exhaust leak into the passenger compartment (been having some signs of Co2 poisoning). Of course I will have the car tested for a leak but I'm wondering if it's ever come up before? I thought because of the placement of the engine, it may be more susceptible as well.

Anyone ever come across this? I Googled it but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will check that first JPaul! Was showing the car to some of my relatives a few weeks back, possible it may not have been replaced properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So....... it was the engine cover. The two "tabs" and slots that it slides into weren't aligned (AND the pin to secure it wasn't tight). So no seal at all! Geez, breathing all that Co2 for two weeks? Not good, not good....... I'll be sure to always check the cover myself now, make sure it's on right after someone's been in there.

·
Super Moderator
28,440 Posts
smart's version of the Darwin Award???

Glad you're still here! Those covers can be tricky - hopefully the 453 will have something a little less challenging.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Glad also 'mausketeer' that you know what CO poisoning symptoms can be like, not too many people do realize what's happening before they fall asleep... :whew:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's CO (carbon monoxide), not CO2 (carbon dioxide). BIG difference. One will kill you, the other can make you burp!:D
LOL! Oh yeah, duh! (was trying to sound..... Well, smart! Lol. And didn't want to type carbon monoxide too many times.....)

Well you know, with a little Smart car, even too much BURPING might be dangerous too!

:blowingup:

·
17,368 Posts
Try closing your doors with the windows closed, these cars prefer to hold their gasses in :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts