Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 smart fortwo has an exhaust problem, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this before I bring it in to the dealer because I think my extended warranty may not cover the problem. I apologize for my non-techical description, but I'll try to be detailed so you will hopefully know what I'm talking about.

As I stick my head under the car and look up at the muffler, the muffler is fine. The short pipe leading out of the muffler itself has another pipe sticking into it. This pipe has a mesh-like covering over it. This pipe has a big crack in it at the base of the mesh right where it is about to go into the female end of the muffler pipe. So my car is loud as most of the air is escaping just before it gets to the muffler.

One thing I noticed is that, when hot, I can move the muffler back and forth like it is on a hinge from above. I noticed the two rubber things holding it up. When it has cooled though, it is locked in place. I wonder if the rubber things (and the support from the cracked pipe) are the only things holding it in place...?

I wonder what could have caused this crack that goes most of the way around the pipe at this point....whether it just cracked because it sucks, or if some other muffler-fastener broke, causing the muffler to cause stress on that mesh pipe which eventually cracked.

My car has just under 35,000 miles so it obviously shouldn't have this problem at this point. But because of the crappy warranty and what I'm learning now might not be the bumper-to-bumper extended plan that I was led to believe it was, I want to be sure of what caused this before I have to pay a bunch of money for exhaust work.

One more thing. The muffler itself is completely fine. Should they be able to remove the muffler, replace that other pipe, then put the muffler back on? Or are the parts joined in such a way that it's impossible to "re-use" my current muffler?
Thank you for any help you can give!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just in case your extended warranty does not cover the problem I have a spare exhaust for $50 + Shipping. Or you can take it to a muffler shop and have then repair the hole.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
JB weld would not hold in the heat. I would say you might be able to get it welded by a muffler shop. at any rate it will need removed fixed/replaced then reinstalled. I would go for the $50.00 deal.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
From the way you describe it, you flex pipe has broken. The entire assembly up to the catalytic conveter flange is one welded piece. There really is no repair. You have to replace the entire assembly. Good news is, it's not that tough. 3 heat shield bolts, and two flange bolts, and it drops out. I've had mine in and out enough, I can do it in about 25 minutes.

I agree with Smartdigger, take the $50 deal, and get a local muffler shop to install it. The dealer will get you $400 + for a new one, if not covered by your warranty.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Jedi, don't you mean downgrade ? I don't think there is an aftermarket exhaust (muffler)for the smart out there that offers the heat shielding protection the factory muffler does...
Oh yea, I saw SM and thought NEW. Yea, not down grade more like replacement. Still... take teh $50.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Broken OEM Stock Exhaust

Have a 2008 smart cabrio the exhaust rusted out in the flex bend section.
I removed the main muffler but left about 10 inches of the flex and the mounting flange connected to the cat.

Question has anyone repaired this by having a muffler shop weld it all back together?

Thanks..

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I would strongly suggest upgrading to any one of the fine aftermarket products out there?

Check out smartmadness and BoschBuilt.

From personal experience, I would not suggest DTH, although other's have had good experience with them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of what the muffler and flexpipe should look like? Do you have a picture of the one you have for sale and is it new or used?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same 2008 and mine has done this to looking for the same answer. I know the pipe with the mesh can be bought for under $30 but still need to know the cause of it and like you muffler loose when hot there must be a bracket that should hold it in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a old thread, recently revived, but....
I just went through this on my 08. (131k mi) You can source a 1 3/4 flex from Verocious motorsports. Buy the SS version, 1 3/4 by 8" . The rear bodywork has to come off to do it right, which means the tailgate too. Remove the muffler from the rubber hangers, and the flange from the cat. Grind off all the remains of the old flex tube, and assemble back on the car. You'll need to have a jack hold the muffler in the correct rotation position to tack weld the new flex in place after you've test fitted everything. Finish the welding after pulling the muffler assy back off. Assembly is the reverse of diss.....
The cause on my car was very likely a worn lower engine mount. Cracks all through it. Allows the engine to rock back and forth much more. New one on order.
Don't expect an aftermarket flex to last as long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts