Smart Car of America Forum banner

Do you smell exhaust on hard accelerations?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Passion and this has bothered me as long as I have owned the car and I am trying to finally figure out what is causing it... :confused:

On hard acceleration (pedal to the floor) I always notice a strong exhaust smell in the cabin when the windows are closed. Its strong enough I have to roll down the window and let fresh air in for a second. :eek:

I do a lot of interstate driving and this occurs mostly when I am accelerating to get on the interstate.

Any suggestions or idea as to what is causing this? Anyone dealt with this before?:confused:

I have the number for the corporate office but wanted to get input first from the community (real world drivers)...

Thanks!
Brad

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I don't have this myself, but it makes me wonder if maybe something is up with your flex pipe and/or seal to the engine compartment cover?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have this myself, but it makes me wonder if maybe something is up with your flex pipe and/or seal to the engine compartment cover?
Well, I have carefully checked the seal on the engine cover with no success, but I am not sure about the "flex pipe" ???

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a thought: check your handbrake, can you feel heat coming from its opening?... :wink:
That is a suggestion I have read on here before, that the heat and small seeps in around the slit that the break handle comes through.

Any effective suggestions on how one might seal that shut and still have a functional hand break?

·
Registered
429 Posts
To be clear, the smell I have is more "engine block burn-off", not exhaust, which means that under sustained high RPMs, my engine heats up and anything on the aluminum block tends to burn off leaving the odor I have. My DashDAQ validates the engine temp increase correlation to the smell.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
That is a suggestion I have read on here before, that the heat and small seeps in around the slit that the break handle comes through.

Any effective suggestions on how one might seal that shut and still have a functional hand break?
Some posters have reported using a handbrake gaiter with success. I've seen them on eBay and I'd be surprised if Smart Madness didn't have them.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to have that smell when the car was new and occasionally now when I walk to the back of the car after driving for a while. I have 40,000 miles... I think the way the engine sits causes it to gather debris which burns off.

I have a scan gauge and temp does not seem to be a factor in my situation, only hard acceleration as if the high out put of the exhaust combined with the drag of the hard acceleration some how pushes the smell through the engine compartment into the cabin. Just a theory, but I have no idea how... Once the speed normalizes the smell is gone, aside from what is left in the cabin...

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Well, my driving is probably too conservative for me to get to that point. Can't help here. Sorry. :rolleyes:

As a side note, from the onset I wished that the car had better crossflow, some kind of a vent to allow the air to flow through without using the (noisy) fan. Noticed how the pressure increases when you close the door and both windows are up, the roof sort of pops up? (That was how very few of us discovered the tridion/roof sealant issue a while back.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts