Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my first post. I've had my Passion (and she's still my passion) since May of 2008. There are 14,000 miles on the odometer, including a fully loaded road trip from Florida (home base) to New Jersey and back (great fun). My concern: another trip North is impending. How many miles of tire life can one expect from these little tires?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have 10000 miles on my passion and it has seen MI twice and NC once.(don't drive the car much as I have a motorcycle for work). My home base is also fl. and I have plenty of tire wear left. I am sure to go to 40000.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
I've got 20k but do use winter tires. FWIW, both sets look pretty new although I haven't actually measured the tread depth.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I just replaced my first set at 46K. I do a lot of highway driving, I was right near the wear bars. These tires get loud as they wear down. I didn't realize how loud they were until I drove away on the new ones.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I can usually get 50grand or so out of quality tires...will see for this one. My jeep has 63000miles with original good year tires and still much tread left. Yes, I know tires loose elasticity over time and stick less to the road...but why fix it if it still works :).

·
Super Moderator
29,155 Posts
I just replaced my first set at 46K. I do a lot of highway driving, I was right near the wear bars. These tires get loud as they wear down. I didn't realize how loud they were until I drove away on the new ones.
Did you replace with OEM tires or something else? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick feedback!

Dear fellow Smart Car of America forum members,

Wow! Thanks for the helpful, and extremely fast, feedback. I'll keep an eye on my tires, particularly when I get past 25K. I'm very impressed by how active this site is.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm @ 29k miles and I still have plenty of tread (75%), so if I were you, don't worry about it unless you are an aggressive driver.

(I don't use snow tires, so yes, 29k miles with the stock factory tires)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was at the Smart dealer for maintenance and overheard them saying to someone on the phone that the OEM tires get 20,000 miles. I've had factory Continentals on another car and was disappointed to need replacements in the 20s (I pushed it close to 30,000)

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I get 50,000 miles from a set of rear tires and probably 80,000 miles from the fronts (I haven't lunched a front pair yet).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for Tire Enlightenment!

Thank you for several very enlightening replies as to Smart tire life! Now I have no qualms about heading North in a few weeks. I'll keep my eye on the situation and heed your advice when I get past 20K!

·
Registered
162 Posts
34,000 miles on my 2009, tires still look pretty good. I figure I'm pretty lucky to get this far, but should get 40,000 based opn how they look right now. Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels is a good place to buy tires. I haven't checked lately but had to get a tire patched last winter and was checking around, no on had them in stock, nor could they even order that size. I orderd a set to ease my mind about availability.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tire Life

I have 41k on my 08 Passion, and the tires still look good. I will watch them closely as I get nearer to 50k.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Near 24k miles and the tread looks good, BUT, there are Hankooks on the Brabus and the rears are starting to crack. I hate buying new tires when there is plenty of tread, but......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts