Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my airbag light came on. I had it reset for free at the dealership. After going over some rail road tracks came on again. Now the dealership is stating its the Air bag control module that needs to be changed at $945 bucks.

Second my check engine light has been coming on. The car has been operating absolutely fine. When disconnecting the battery the code clears for the check engine and drives normal for days then comes on again. The dealership stated it was the Pedal control module needing to be replaced. $581 for this. I feel like the dealership is just wanting to make some money. I have a smart madness pedal control system which wondering if causing the issue. I thought about dis connecting that first and leaving battery off all night to see if returns. As for the airbag light who knows? I have read threads about loose connections, but not sure the dealership is checking all those adequately. Thinking $1000 for a control module seems a bit high

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
I have a smart madness pedal control system which wondering if causing the issue.
Go Pedal or MDC Cruise Control?

Should probably start by eliminating the "pedal control" as a potential source of the problem, remove it and see if things improve.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the go pedal -- funny when I called another local dealership in Dallas they quoted me $430 for the airbag controller but Fort Worth Mercedes quoted me almost $600 for the same part. Total for that was $1000 installed.

As for the pedal they quoted the same pricing and I use the go pedal from smart madness. The dealership said would be replacing the entire pedal apparatus when changing

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Maybe my response wasn't clear - ASAP, remove the Go Pedal . . .

·
Registered
254 Posts
This brings up an interesting issue. Smarts depreciate so much that an expensive repair on a car several years old amounts to a substantial percent of the total value of the car. After a certain number of years and miles it becomes disposable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only paid 8,000 for my Brabus cabrio with 29,000 miles when purchasing and absolutely love drive it. However it's been pricy fixing items when they break. The Airconditioner went out about a year of owning and it was $1000 fix. Now this. All in all plan on keeping for long time, but hate dealing with crooks at the dealerships.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
This brings up an interesting issue. Smarts depreciate so much that an expensive repair on a car several years old amounts to a substantial percent of the total value of the car. After a certain number of years and miles it becomes disposable.
Well they are recyclable at a very high percentage.:)

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
A guy I know with a 2011 Audi A3 TDI recently had his engine expire only 15K km out of warranty. Cost: $17,000. Half of the car's new price. So this phenomenon is not unique to smart. It's part of the "circle of life" for cars (cue Lion King music).

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
I would bet money that your air bag light coming on is a loose connection underr your seats. You stated the light came on as you were crossing railroad tracks. That would cause enough vibration to trigger the air bag light if there was a faulty connection under there. There is some sort of module fastened up under the passenger seat. I had an air bag light problem. I removed both seats about 2 weeks after I bought my orphan so that I could install heated seat pads. With the seats removed I needed to move the car in the driveway, so I started the car and since the seats were missing it threw a code and lit the air bag light. I drove it for quite a while like that and figured I'd have to drive to the dealer over 2 hours away to have it reset. As it turns out my nephew had an ODBII meter that was able to access the air bag system and reset the light for me. I have read other posts on here if just moving the seats back and forth or placing something under the seats that moves the wiring causes a problem in some cases. But I would investigate that before spending big bucks on a module that I would almost bet isn't the problem. There are 2 different meters that can reset the air bag light. Both are pricey, but still cheaper than replacing the air bag module. They are in a separate post on here. I will try and find it and repost it here. (Just my opinion). DCO

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f353/airbag-light-109561/index2.html#post1252465
Then go to #12 .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts