Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
Recommendation - DON’T.

Here’s a recent first hand Extended Warranty EXPERIENCE!

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
300 Posts
Good luck.
I don't see how any third-party warranty company would underwrite a vehicle that is basically orphaned in this country... but then again... warranties are all about them taking your money and you taking your chances.

As @MB DNA pointed out, there are already horror stories.

Just sayin'
Jim

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
And as jmartinsmart suggests, you may want to think long and hard about buying into a niche “orphan brand” with dwindling dealer resources?

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Extended warranties are great. As long as the vehicle parts are still available, which they are. For at least 10 years, after the model year. They Plenty of good qualified service centers, able to work on smart car out there. They aren’t rare exotic cars. Our smart cars hasn’t seen a MB dealership, in at least 9 years. Just because smart discontinued vehicle here. Parts are widely available from the US, and Europe. There are still MB dealership that will service the cars.

Because of the crappy 2 year warranty. We took out a aftermarket extended warranty out on our 2008. A 5 year one. We never use it, the car never broke. It like having health, home insurance. A security blanket just in case. If you do take one out. Read the fine print.

Parts…..

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Never bought one on a car, a refrigerator or anything really - never will. An extended warranty is an insurance policy and in the long run the insurance companies always win. Sure you might be the "lucky person" to actually use that extended warranty, but the odds are not in your favor IMO.

Len

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Factory extended warranties are generally good. These tend to extend all or some of the original warranty coverage of the vehicle.

CarMax also used to offer an awesome warranty that was essentially a factory warranty for a used car. Then Doug Demuro came around and his Range Rover ended up paying out the price of a new car in repairs, all covered under the CarMax warranty. lol

Aftermarket extended warranties can be a bit chaotic. Most of them will have fancy brochures that say they cover "Engine," "Transmission," "Electrical," and so on. Great, right? Well...

You have to read the fine print because aftermarket warranties tend to only cover specific parts. Your smart could have a shift motor failure in its transmission. If that part isn't covered then you're paying out of pocket. What's the point of a warranty if you can't get your repairs paid for?

Then there's often additional fine print about where you have to get the car repaired.

I only recommend factory extended warranties. The CarMax one is also still good, but they've changed the rules so that your used luxury car can't pay out enough repairs to pay for a new car.

There are so many bad experiences with aftermarket extended warranties that I think you have a better shot at winning the lottery than getting a good aftermarket extended warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got an extended warranty on my 2016 when I bought it through carvana in 2019. I’m around 50k miles now, only issue I’ve had so far is when my door latch broke about a month ago and I couldn’t shut my drivers door. Took it to my local smart service center and they ended up working with the warranty company. Fixed the door and did a couple grand in suspension work as well because they noticed some issues in the front. I only ended up paying $50 for all of that to be done. However I did inquire and regular wear items are not covered, specifically the clutch is what I asked them about. Then again they did replace a lot of front suspension components which I would consider wear items, so maybe it’s at the discretion of the service center you take it to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you want to throw your money away, there are lots of worthless "GO FUND ME" sites out there with the same philosophy. Ponzey scheme, extended warranty. Same crap shoot.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yippee Kai Yah Mr. Smartie! 2016 Prime edition. O2 sensors only pig in the poke for me. Do all of the maintenance on Minimus. Found out the 32mm socket I bought for wifey's ride worx on Smarties too. Yay me! 6 bucks at Wally World.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
We bought a extended warranty on my daughter 2016 Jeep Renegade. As soon as the warranty ran out. The right rear brake caliper cracked open. 800 bucks to replace. They did both sides. Then the oil pan started to leak, another 600 bucks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I bought an “aftermarket” extended warranty on my Nissan Armada. About 2 months before it expired, the Armada needed a new engine. The warranty company (Alpha) flew a rep to my dealer’s location and determined something odd happened to the engine’s oil flow and starved 1/2 the engine of the proper lubricant. They agreed to replace the engine. I paid only my deductible of $100. Needless to say, I was very thankful and appreciative of the service!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts