Smart Car of America Forum banner

Extended warranty

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  MB DNA 
#1 ·
Did anyone extend their warranty after the factory warranty expired. I am thinking of the 2 year extended warranty the dealer offered me it's a 2014 Passion I bought for $4,000 with 23,000 miles. It now has 25,000 miles and the warranty is over in January 2018. I believe an addition 2 year warranty would put me in great shape. I,m easy on cars and just adore this little one.

#3 ·
Well if you're happy with it then good for you (no sarcasm). I have one on my 453. Mainly because of the length of time I financed it for. I have several friends, 4 or 5, who have bought extended warranties on their vehicles and it has really come in handy for them. Sometimes saving them thousands.

#4 ·
Cars to toasters, I have never bought one nor have I ever needed one. It's an insurance policy and the insurance company always wins in the grand scheme of things. Now if you will sleep better at night by having one, that's another story.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 12,600 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 2,000 miles

#5 ·
I was a service manager for many years. It is like car insurance, health insurance, home insurance or any others. yes the insurance companies make out good that's why they are a business. all I can say is some people are glad they have it and some aren't it's a roll of the dice.

I don't see why people bash extended warranties....no one forced you to get health insurance. I used to feel so sorry for some folks when they came in unaware the car needed a couple thousand dollars of work and when I asked if they had the extended they croaked when they said they thought it wasn't worth it.

your choice, if you can afford it get it you never know what tomorrow has in store for you

I had a car(1993 Lumina Z34) just out of warranty and in the next 3 years I went thru 4 alternators and each time the engine had to be dropped to access it. boy was I happy I had it

#6 ·
I bought my extended warranty when I bought my smart from carmax. I’m covered for 7 years 75k miles. $200 deductible through them or $250 through any certified shop (including MB dealership).

I’ve had carmax maxcare warranty on multiple cars. My PT Cruiser it saved me over $4500 in repairs twice on that car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 ·
My 2014 Smart is at the Mercedes Benz Dealer it has just over 25,000 miles. I purchased it with just over 23,000 miles. I asked for the appropriate service level as well reporting what I believe is a gear oil leak. Again I confirmed that the extension of the warranty was available for the car and was told it was, as long as I extend it before January 17th 2018.

I had my little guy spotless when I took it in for service. It looked really good in there with all the high dollar machines.

So we will see how this goes.

#8 ·
Funny thing is I have only purchased an extended warranties on my 99 & 01 Range Rovers and my 01 Audi TT roadster. Both of which I made $$ on.. However, Max my 08 cabrio bought new in 08 only came with a 2 year warranty. Never needed it and to this day hasn't had a warranty repair (9.5 years and 71K miles). When I purchased my 14 BoConcept cabrio last week I didn't purchase the extended warranty either. Based on my past experience with the original Max it didn't seem like a good use of my $$. But to each his own.

#10 ·
Ok. Benz called about my little guy. The leak was a right rear axle. The axle was replaced. They recommended a right rear tire at $108.00 dollars, I declined the tire as new rims and tires are in the near future for the car. The informed me the the Radiator support is broken. Quoted at $317.00 for the part and 5.5 hours labor. That's about a grand in total. I declined that as it appears to be online for a $150.00. When I replaced the hood and right fender panel I know I could replace this part although it will take a good amount of effort. When I get it back I will insure the radiator is secure.

So will wait for the next call as the said they would be wrapping up the work.

#11 · (Edited)
The service as quoted was $468.00. it came with a car wash which I declined. Don't want any wayward towel edge snagging any of my chrome bits. The Benz customer treatment was top notch classy.

Now the oil leak I reported was confirmed and was determined to be rear axle seal leak. Rear axles were replaced, seals and gear oil replaced under warranty.

They informed me of a screw in my right rear tire. I declined service or replacement for it . (Drove it to a tire repair shop and had it patched and plugged for $25.00) I also declined a replacement of the radiator support. Quoted at $317.00 parts and 5.5 hours labor. I will put that on the early spring agenda. It is listed on line as $149.00 for the main part. I'm no afraid of the repair work. Just a warm weekend

A very different car is under me now. The harsh ness is gone, I suspect some areas received lube. I will ask tomorrow if some points were lubed that is very important to know. Rough surfaces felt normal.... rough but normal. The plugs and injection cleaning has the car smooth and quiet when idled at the stop lights. The transmission shifts smooth and quiet. Just feels like a tighter smoother car.

I'm going to try to put some good runs on it by January. I intend to buy the extended warranty a week before the January 17th deadline unless something happens to change my mind.

I am very happy with my Smart tonight.

#12 ·
Well after a great 500 plus mile road trip and finding my current preferred tire pressures. Followed by a serious run with the Banzai Tuner Car crowd blasting through traffic last night. I know I am going to drive this car hard enough to break it at times, so for sure I will extend the warranty. I can see putting a ton of miles on this car.

#13 ·
We were going to take out a extended warranty on our 2008. smart only offered a a 2 year warranty when the car was new. It was pricey from the factory. Still have the paper work. Decided not. Maybe should have. Later on, in the smarts life. The clutch actuator died. Had to replace, a second heater blower motor. The cost, of both those items, basically would have been the same price of the extended warranty. So it didn’t matter.

We bought a new Honda Fit 2 years ago. Extended factory warranty, from Honda 700 bucks. 8 year 80,000 miles. Covers everything. Bumper to bumper. The navigation screen, in the vehicle replaced. $1,700 bucks. Rear LED tail lamps,are $240, a piece. CVT transmmision $4K. In today’s world, the new cars are so complex. It makes sense to have a extended warranty. If you plan to keep the vehicle for a while.

Read carefully the fine print on these warranties. Check the deductible. Good Luck.

#14 ·
We were going to take out a extended warranty on our 2008. smart only offered a a 2 year warranty when the car was new. It was pricey from the factory.

Read carefully the fine print on these warranties. Check the deductible. Good Luck.
MY08 smart, same thought process and because of the cheezy 2 year warranty on an "unproven" vehicle - wrote that LARGE check and all I have to show for it is the cancelled check! Not a single repair beyond scheduled maintenance.

As smark suggests, do read the fine print as "Bumper to Bumper" means nothing if the failure is on that LONG list of exclusions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.