Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read so much about charging and extending battery life. It looks like if you only charge to around 75% you really extend the life of the traction battery. Is there a way to automatically stop charging when battery gets to 75%? If the below chart is correct looks like you don't want to charge until the charger automatically stops.

Charging Parameters
Cycles before capacity reduced to 85%
100% — 25%​
2,010​
100% — 40%​
2,800​
100% — 50%​
2,800​
85% — 25%​
4,500​
75% — 25%​
7,100​
75% — 45%​
10,000​
75% — 65%​
12,000​

·
Super Moderator
1,692 Posts
I really think you are over thinking and over worrying. Charge it, drive it and enjoy it.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 11,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,918 Posts
I have read so much about charging and extending battery life. It looks like if you only charge to around 75% you really extend the life of the traction battery. Is there a way to automatically stop charging when battery gets to 75%?
No, the rather bare bones smart ED does not afford you the option of dialing in your percentage of charge . . .

Too much "Chicken Little" going on in your mind???

Our ED was delivered on Black Friday thus it is simply a "purpose built" LARGE appliance that happens to have a 70ish mile range.

That being said - I like to refer to it as PLUG & PLAY! :burnout:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Where did you get that table?

A timer can be used to do less-than full charges. My level 2 EVSE has such a feature. If you are using 120V charging adapter, you can always use a wall outlet timer.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeah. That is a good article, explained in plain language.

BTW, I have the open-source battery pack scanner that Len's (Sokoloff) son puts together and sells. My cells are average 4.17 volts when fully charged. So, when the Smart is charged "full" it is very nearly true "full" - only a small top buffer is designed into it. I scanned it at a 16% indicated SOC and the cells averaged 3.54 volts, so there is certainly a sizable bottom buffer - how big I'm not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts