Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the manual, it says something about charging off an extension cord. Does anyone know if this is due to reduced current and thus longer charge times? Is there some other reason that charging through an extension cord is bad?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,111 Posts
I would think fire hazard would be the largest concern unless the cord is rated for the continuous load. Even then, there would be extra connections where something could go wrong (water intrusion, etc.).

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's bad when you choose a bad extension cable. MB doesn't want to get sued for that, so they tell you not to. It's a get-out-of-jail-free card.

We've discussed this at length, just dig through the forum a bit...

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
Is there some other reason that charging through an extension cord is bad?
Yup, just Daimler's legal department trying to save you from yourself!

Someone will pull that old Christmas tree extension cord out of the attic and then complain about the EVSE not working properly as the cord is lying in a puddle smoldering in the rain.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
First, use a minimum 12 gauge extension cord, some are 14 or 16. Not longer than 75-80 feet......

Second, use a plug tester to check the outlet. I would keep this in the car, and check all 120 volt outlets I plug into...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-3-Prong-Receptacle-Tester/16561511

Third, change the outlet to a GFCI, I prefer a 20 amp, even though I'm only using it for 15, and a weather resistant one to boot. Using this for my electric lawn mower...
Shop Cooper Wiring Devices 20-Amp 125-Volt White GFCI Decorator Tamper Resistant Electrical Outlet at Lowes.com

Last, be mindful of the total run, including the wire in the wall. 80-100 foot would be my maximum total length...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts