Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a few days ago passenger side exterior door handle does not open door. Handle appears to fully extend (less resistance than previously). Interior door handle works fine. Any ideas? Is this something I can repair without visiting dealership? Thank you very much.

Vehicle: 2008 Smart Fortwo Passion

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
I noticed my outside door handles had a 'stiff spot' in them. Seems like they were real easy up to a point and then worked much tougher. I found the latch between the door and frame to have a bunch of corrosion in there. I lubed it up with penetrating oil, followed a few days later with some spray grease and it has been working much better.

A good idea to hit all the hinges too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had to have one of my door latches replaced after trying to open it in after an ice storm. The handle was broken where the cable was attached to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your helpful replies.

The exterior handle just stays extended when pulled on (I have to manually push it back in). Is this likely a cable issue or perhaps a problem with the handle itself? Secondly, is this a sort of diagnosis/repair you'd advise a novice attempt?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
800 Posts
sounds like handle, two large allen scews on inside of door and slide handle to rear. Comes right off. Might be just loose spring, worth a look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got around to looking in to this. I removed the handle as per this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kDjrwHPthU What I discovered is that two parts of the handle were not engaging. Specifically, the interior portion of the exterior black handle was not engaging a white part that connects with the cable. I was able to reposition them so that they are now engaging. Thanks all for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts