Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back from my 10k mile tuneup. The guy that works there is so in the know about everything that is about to happen with Smart that him and I sat down and discussed everything coming up since I told him I was going to put aftermarket parts on my car. He informed me that Smart is going to come out with five new engines for the Smart. 3 3 cylinder and 2 4 cylinder engines. Also, an all electric car and a hybrid will be released with the engine upgrades. Everything will be released to the community by Summer of next year. Smart is going to partner with the company Smart Madness and offer factory upgrades. This means that you will be able to walk into your Smart authorized service center and ask for an engine upgrade to a 4 cylinder engine or a stage 4 turbo option and they will do it for you as a factory aftermarket upgrade. Also, he informed me that since this means that this will mass produce all the parts for the Smart car, likely, the prices are going to go down for the aftermarket parts. One last thing, Renault has teamed up with Smart car and is going to offer a 2011 Smart custom four seater for the United States market. If I recollect correctly, Renault is going to build all of the three and four cylinder upgrades for the Smart car. I hope you all enjoy this news as much as possible as now I am not going to buy aftermarket until Smart partners with Smart madness.
Sincerely,
Brett Harrison

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
The smart madness news doesn't shock me... smart Jax spilled the beans on that a couple of weeks ago. Huge deal for Boris and Rachel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wonder if WE ALL could propose they "absorb" all the roadster stuff just lying somewhere in england too. Bring it over here, put some of our unemployed to work and revive it. With all the possible options mentioned above the U.S. could start a "smart" revolution. Can you imagine an electric roadster?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Absorbs may not be the right term, I Would expect it to be a Full partnership with exclusivity of US after market parts not supplied by the factory coming from smartmadness if they promised to upgrade their facilities.

My Smart Regional mention they were planning on partnering with smartmadness to supply the dealers with things like cruse control and offer them with Smart USA Warranty.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absorbs may not be the right term, I Would expect it to be a Full partnership with exclusivity of US after market parts not supplied by the factory coming from smartmadness if they promised to upgrade their facilities.

My Smart Regional mention they were planning on partnering with smartmadness to supply the dealers with things like cruse control and offer them with Smart USA Warranty.
Yes everything they offer will be under warranty. Absorbed was the wrong word used, it was more like a partnership.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts

Madness better start carrying the 451 cruise then...

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
who knows...but they do carry a cruise control, but it's not the 451
It's no secret I think the 451 is a better product. All I'm saying is that if they're going to ok one cruise for the smart they should ok both aftermarket versions.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where are the engines coming from.
I believe they are being made by Renault, but I do not know where they are being imported from unless they are opening a new branch at the Smart plant in France. Thankfully, we will be able to give them our old engines for a reduction in the price of the new engine. It is like trading in your car and getting the cash back for the car you traded in to upgrade to your new car. Same concept. I just like the fact that the turbo will be under Smart warranty and I hope they redesign the turbo intake to not take air directly from the center of the engine bay, but hopefully utilize the side intake and plum the turbo inter cooler to the front like where our radiator is and where all inter-coolers are on a turbo or supercharged car.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,112 Posts
I dunno... This sounds like an April 1 story that arrived a couple weeks late. I could see some mid-cycle design changes, but nothing so significant that would require a lot of certifications to be sold in the US. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dunno... This sounds like an April 1 story that arrived a couple weeks late. I could see some mid-cycle design changes, but nothing so significant that would require a lot of certifications to be sold in the US. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
Trust me, I hate April 1 jokes just as much as anybody. when the guy at the dealership was telling me all of this, I thought he was pulling my leg too. Just before he departed, he said big changes were coming in 2011 and I believe him because since he works for the dealership and knows good people in Smart, I wouldn't just say something like that to anybody. He knew how much of an enthusiast I am so you can take it worth a grain of salt, but everything I say is no joke.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts