Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,972 Posts
Since that's the smart worldwide site the fabric roof may not be on US smarts. We won't know until we see a US 2017 dealer ordering guide.

Might look good with some Landau bars and a Continental kit....:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looks like it's for Germany. Their website shows many cars configured in ways we don't get here... some bad, some good.

Will it come with a "Crystal Key?"

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Interesting media release – good find! I like the mention of the new cornering lights and two new Cabrio top colors, although only in the Tailor Made program. Renaming the Sport Pkg. is a good idea, in advance of BRABUS models.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,758 Posts
Not sure that smart needed this BUT, could have been a solution for a crazed polycarbonate roof...

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I would rather have the clear sky light. It could have been made of light weight glass, like what's on my 500. I always wished the clear glass roof opened.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Hard to tell in the picture, but it kinda looks like the solid roof of the 451.... kinda textured plastic of sorts. Granted, i'm sure it IS fabric... but just saying... kinda has that 451 solid roof look.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The cornering function makes sense. We've had 'em on MB vehicles for many years. It's going to be funny all the people with smart cars never having owned a MB before, complaining and returning to their dealerships when they believe their front lights aren't working correctly.

Of course, I'm going to make sure no car leaves the lot without making sure people know what to expect. But I'll sit back and watch the first adopters across the U.S. because it will be funny. There is going to be at least one person who will pop a blood vessel over it before they learn that it was designed to do it... :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
US will be getting the fabric roof for pure and passion coupes for MY17. The panoramic roof remains optional for passion, and standard with prime and proxy.

Sport Package in the US keeps the Sport Package name, and a new BRABUS Sport Package (!!) gets introduced for both coupe and cabrio.

·
Super Moderator
28,972 Posts
Sorry, but the BRABUS in name only trim just doesn't do it for me. Mercedes spends beaucoup dollars certifying every possible engine combo, including AMG gas guzzlers, but can't find some spare change to certify the real, no kidding smart fortwo BRABUS for the US?

I'm just not buying it - literally. :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry, but the BRABUS in name only trim just doesn't do it for me. Mercedes spends beaucoup dollars certifying every possible engine combo, including AMG gas guzzlers, but can't find some spare change to certify the real, no kidding smart fortwo BRABUS for the US?

I'm just not buying it - literally. :(
Though we don't get the engine, the package does go beyond trim and appearance.

The car receives a full BRABUS Sport Suspension with stiffer damping, a larger anti-roll bar, etc. It also receives matte grey Monoblock IX staggered width wheels (16" front, 17" rear) wrapped in performance tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fabric Roof on Hard-Tops - Why?

The fabric roof on hard-top cars would appear to have all the disadvantages that come with keeping fabric / canvas tops clean and free of stains (from bird droppings and other sources).....while providing no advantages. At least with a cabrio, use of fabric gives you get the advantage of a convertible roof. But on a hard-top? Seems a silly idea...................maybe I'm missing something. As someone who is planning a 2017 purchase of a coupe............I may now consider the Prime model instead of the Passion..........just to get the panoramic roof instead of the (unwanted) fabric one.

Will be interesting to see exactly what the Brabus Sport Package includes. Shame about no extra power though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The fabric roof on hard-top cars would appear to have all the disadvantages that come with keeping fabric / canvas tops clean and free of stains (from bird droppings and other sources).....while providing no advantages. At least with a cabrio, use of fabric gives you get the advantage of a convertible roof. But on a hard-top? Seems a silly idea...................maybe I'm missing something. As someone who is planning a 2017 purchase of a coupe............I may now consider the Prime model instead of the Passion..........just to get the panoramic roof instead of the (unwanted) fabric one.

Will be interesting to see exactly what the Brabus Sport Package includes. Shame about no extra power though.
Don't forget the panoramic roof is an option for the passion as well, so you are not required to get a prime if you don't want the fabric roof.

Happy to give you a run down on the new package!
  • BRABUS Sport Suspension
  • 16" Front / 17" Rear Monoblock IX Matte Grey Alloy Wheels with Performance Tires
  • BRABUS front spoiler in body color
  • Rear apron in body color
  • Matte grey rear diffusor
  • BRABUS Sport Leather steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake with accenting grey contrast stitching
  • Stainless steel pedals
  • Unlike the Sport Package, the BRABUS Sport Package is available on both manual and twinamic DCT cars. Twinamic models receive paddle shifters

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Kieth, for the info about the panoramic roof being an option on the Passion Coupe, in place of the fabric one. I wasn't aware of that. Of course, if I opt for a cabrio, my issues with the fabric-covered hard-top roof will be moot anyway. Still, I'd be interested in hearing the "logic" behind that fabric-roof decision.

As to the Brabus package, I'll pass on that I think. Have to see one and drive it. But without the extra power, adding the Brabus name just seems like trying to put Chevy "SS 396" badging on my old 6-cylinder Chevelle............(which I did not do by the way!) even though the package includes some suspension & tire/wheel upgrades.

Nice to see you back contributing such helpful information to all of us!

·
17,476 Posts
So, it's basically the smart version of the landau roof? I like the idea! It's more unique than just a textured solid roof. :)

It could actually be pretty cool so long as it isn't made out of crappy fabric...If so, then bird droppings and lord knows what else will destroy it faster than a 451 roof can craze.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Keith, what does the Sport Suspension include, please?

And specifically, will the US version have the steering recalibrations found on the Euro BRABUS which have been so highly anticipated?
It's actually the same suspension as the European BRABUS, so you get the stiff stabilizer/anti-roll bar and reworked shocks and struts. They work to lower the car 10 mm compared to base. Combined with the low section performance tires you get a car much more built for cornering.

The steering system remains the same as the standard car.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts