Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a recall notice from MB to replace the engine bay insulation....did anyone else get one? I'm debating whether or not to do it since I did the mod that someone mentioned awhile ago about putting a metal bar in to support the insulation from dropping down

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,563 Posts
I received my second recall notice earlier this week. Since I repaired my insulation mat several years ago, I am still debating whether going to the dealer or not. The former smart dealer locally had the reputation of doing more harm than good.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I noticed the insulation dropping down after I got the first notice, but it is on the front side of the engine bay, the exhaust is on the rear side of the compartment, and I don't recall any insulation on that side. There is a heat shield as I recall.

My flex pipe is also starting to give out. I wonder if I can toss a few bucks in and have them bolt the replacement one on when the motor is dropped....might take a few extra minutes for them I would think....

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I think they need to drop the motor (at least some) to get to all the mounting points for removal and installation

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received a second recall as well. I haven't made an appointment yet because all dealers are pretty far away. I have to make a day out of it.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
275 Posts
If you haven't already, be sure to check in on the similar posts, subject, "smart ForTwo 451 Recall" in the Community/ Safety/ section.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For those of you who are able to have this recall performed, would you please post some before and after pictures of the shield/insulation? A picture of the replacement shield/insulation would especially be appreciated. The closest Smart dealership for us is about 1,400 miles away, and there's several Smarts up here in AK that won't be able to get this work done cause the dealer is SO far away. As a result, I'm trying to determine if ther's some way of modifying/attaching the current shield/insulation and keep it away from the hot exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
275 Posts
For those of you who are able to have this recall performed, would you please post some before and after pictures of the shield/insulation? A picture of the replacement shield/insulation would especially be appreciated. The closest Smart dealership for us is about 1,400 miles away, and there's several Smarts up here in AK that won't be able to get this work done cause the dealer is SO far away. As a result, I'm trying to determine if ther's some way of modifying/attaching the current shield/insulation and keep it away from the hot exhaust manifold.
Limoak: I uploaded pics on the other thread, see
Smart Car Forums > Community > Safety > smart ForTwo 451 Recall, p.12

Note I used gorilla tape to hold up the non repaired side of the recall, Might not hold up with the engine heat, but I'm trying it out. I know the big box stores have tape for furnace repair, which I'll probably get if the gorilla tape fails. Also, before the repair, I blew the shredded insulation dust off of the exhaust pipe with a leaf blower and then an air compressor. What remained I pinned up with ends of large soup cans (!), switching out the plastic disks on the threaded posts. I saw elsewhere where someone had created a continuous strip of sheet metal to the posts to hold it even better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts