Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I posted over a yr ago finally getting around to it but lost the replies. Any suggestions on what to do with a badly faded roof (plastic/fiberglass not sure) on my 2008 Passion

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
Faded, as in cloudy? Or crazed, as in thousands of tiny internal "highlights?" The internal crazing cannot be fixed. Clouding might (just an opinion) be corrected by polishing... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BM I tried polishing removed one spots but no effort on most of the roof sorry to say

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks BM I tried polishing removed one spots but no effort on most of the roof sorry to say
Please post a picture of your roof. It will really help us out on the best way to fix it.
Please post a picture of your roof. It will really help us out on the best way to fix it.
trying to find out how to take a pic, so bad when it comes to figuring out these simple things LOL

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thank you for the picture. I can't really tell is that the panoramic clear roof or is that the black textured plastic fiberglass roof which is what I think you said you had.
Now, if the roof is the panoramic and you're not really in love with the panoramic you can get the 3M 2080 vinyl covering for it. You can order that online 2080 is easy to apply vinyl covering and you can get that in quite a few colors including a textured carbon fiber look.
As good as 3M 2080 vinyl covering is I don't know how well it would adhere to the textured black roof if that's what you actually have on your car.

·
Super Moderator
17,594 Posts
That appears to be the polycarbonate panoramic roof. If you want to retain the ability to see out of it, you can wet sand it down then hit it with clearcoat...a similar operation to restoring a headlight. Unfortunately, the internal cracking (crazing) cannot be repaired, and the fix you do will be temporary as the panel itself is still damaged. But it'll look better on the outside!

If you don't care about seeing out of it, Jo e Lefors' method will work great. You can even get a wrap with a design on it, if you want.

Reactions: Tmm328

·
Registered
976 Posts
You can also get one way perforated window vinyl to cover your polycarbonate roof. Still allowing you to still see out and light in. The one way film can be printed with a design on it or it can be colored also to match whatever color you need for your car.
This is what I have on my Buick.
20201117_150338.jpg 20201117_150311.jpg
Good luck keep us updated.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm waiting to see if someone will go old school and do a proper vinyl roof. May end up doing it myself. My 2009 Passion looks similar, and my 2015 Pure with the wrap is starting to fail at the corners.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
...that's the Bayer Macrolon poly roof...as stated nothing can be done for the spider webbing internally....the other external faded/deteriorated outer edges can be sanded out starting with 400 grit and work your way up to 3000 ...then just buff ...never apply window tint or wrapping film to polycarbonate...the rate of expansion of poly will soon wrinkle and /or bubble the film...there are films for use over poly but they're not cheap at all....

Jetfuel...btdtft...

·
Registered
976 Posts
...that's the Bayer Macrolon poly roof...as stated nothing can be done for the spider webbing internally....the other external faded/deteriorated outer edges can be sanded out starting with 400 grit and work your way up to 3000 ...then just buff ...never apply window tint or wrapping film to polycarbonate...the rate of expansion of poly will soon wrinkle and /or bubble the film...there are films for use over poly but they're not cheap at all....

Jetfuel...btdtft...
Deleted

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
That roof is Toast. I’d take it to a body shop, have them sand it. Paint it piano black, or the car color.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Not kidding.... my sunshade decided to take a dirt nap... till I can get another I literally have a piece of cardboard in it's place. Far cry from my days with Dracha LMAO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all I posted over a yr ago finally getting around to it but lost the replies. Any suggestions on what to do with a badly faded roof (plastic/fiberglass not sure) on my 2008 Passion
I bought 4 Square feet of a black carbon fiber looking wrap on Amazon. I had never done wrap before, but a little instruction from YouTube and it came out perfect. Looked awesome.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I bought 4 Square feet of a black carbon fiber looking wrap on Amazon. I had never done wrap before, but a little instruction from YouTube and it came out perfect. Looked awesome. View attachment 66019
Excellent Hub Caps on the black, if you ever need to sell the wheels on the silver I would be interested I am hording my as my original set. of course I am always looking for two of the rear size to put up front.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts