Smart Car of America Forum banner

Fall Drive - Meet

15K views 214 replies 22 participants last post by  bigcritter 
#1 ·
OK, ORIDWA smarties- it's time to get serious about our next event. :toot

Dunerunner and others have put out some great ideas. http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f45/scenic-drive-pacific-northwest-9381/

We all had a blast at the Prosser meet!
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f45/pnw-scoa-chapter-rally-pics-thread-13915/

Let's come up with some ideas for an autumn gathering.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but..

A smartie costume party - dress up your smart and show off a bit.

A Yamhill County winery tour (November is the best time)

An urban gathering in the city (Portland?)

A meet and greet and panel swap :D

Drive up/down the coast :smartje.grs.zw::smartje.wt.zw::smartje.zw.zw::RS-c.bl.zw::smartje.rd.zw:

Drive up Mt Hood or Mt St Helen's or...? :think:

Let's think about dates and ideas. The last two smart events I attended were fantastic and I think another in this beautiful fall weather is a great idea. :wink: Let's all get away from the wall street turmoil, the election season brew-ha-ha and our everyday routines and just drive!

:burnout:

See less See more
#4 ·
fall meet

Any chance they would let us see how many Smarties would fit in the Spruce Goose? I'm up for a trip (even without cruise control). Anything after mid October would work for me. Maybe I will figure out an avatar by then. Anybody sell 15" hubcaps down that way? I am sure ther are some I don't have. Heh! Heh! Heh!

#9 ·
Hi Guys! McMinnville, OR could be fun! Terri and I have 'kinda always wanted to stay at the McMenamins there! The ones that we've already visited always have really good food and some pretty nice microbrews!! :D Like micromachine, I would like to know a date as far out as possible to plan trading shifts at work or whatever! I'm ALSO off for Thanksgiving..........if someone wants to host a smartie Thanksgiving somewhere!! :p

#12 · (Edited)
Great Idea!

I like the Air museum idea (never been) - McMinnville is a pretty little town. I like the scenic drive :smartje.rd.zw:and the option of wineries, antique-ing and outlet shopping.

Dunerunner
- You're a fun-maker :spots: !

I especially like that this is a day trip for some of folks (me :D) and we can be pretty casual. (Which is great, because a lot of detail planning would wear me out!)

Those wanting to make a weekend of it will find plenty to do.

Let's say we start at the museum for meet and greet and go from there.

BigCritter - do you think that Mc Menamins Pub would have space for a group lunch? :cheers:

I can't guess at the weather for the end of October - but if you've lived in the Northwest any length of time, you know it doesn't matter.

So here we go - the dates

:confused: Please weigh in on which Saturday date(s) you will be able to attend.:confused:

October 18th
October 25th
November 1st

I'm open for any!

PS - Trapper John - Welcome!!! :wave: Tell us about your smart!

#19 · (Edited)
I go back to work today. The vacation is over! :( Either of those dates listed would work as well for me as the other, since I have Saturday off anyway. I'd probably want to switch with someone at work to have Sunday as well! :)
SUZE: I'll check with McMenamin's on the lunch. I've never been to this particular one, but they're usually pretty large and can handle groups! Here is the website for the hotel/pub/restaurant, etc. http://www.hoteloregon.com/index.php?loc=7
Once we've got a firm date in mind, I'll give them a call and set up a lunch meet there.
Is everyone planning on this just being a Saturday thing, or will some be needing to stay over? For me, it's about a 2 1/2 hr. drive to get there, so I'll probably want to stay over either Friday or Saturday night! :) The rooms at the hotel are pretty reasonable, and it's a pretty cool experience to stay someplace that's THAT old, and the rooms are still original! :cool: We stayed at the one in Chehalis, WA for our anniversary this year, and had a really nice time! :) So since I don't have anything planned for any of those dates, I'm open to whatever date that it needs to be!! :)

#23 ·
Howdy, All-

A day trip sounds so good. The Air Museum and some winery hopping, McMinimin's for lunch/brunch/munch, and all of you - what could be better?

Any date - a-ok. Dad may even go for a day...

We've been dealing with a contractor repairing alot of dryrot in the two decks, and the more they find, the more CA-CHINGS...every day...it's been terrible. I'd never actually met a termite before. Evil, winged things; prehistoric and voracious. Oh, the beasty horrors...

Dunerunner, we could mini-vanit, yes?

I also like the idea of a loosey, sprucy-goosey, kind of day - keeping the organizing easy...

#25 ·
Just sent an e-mail to McMenamins in McMinnville, OR to see whether they would be able to accomodate us for lunch (tentatively) for the 25th. I also inquired about a group discount for meals, accomodations at Hotel Oregon, and the possibility of reserved parking for 15-25 smartcars on the premises, with the promise of a possible "Show-N-Shine" either before lunch or after! I'll post the response once I receive it! I explained that I'll have much better numbers the week of the 25th!:D

#26 ·
Great Job, BigCcritter -

So by consensus - October 25th it is.

If McM's doesn't have parking room, the museum might.

The scenic drive that Dunerunner posted is 55 miles (90 minutes) each way, so might be best to get a somewhat early start. (Not too early, Mikie). Is there someplace to lunch along the route?

#29 ·
Just received the following response from McMenamins!!

Hi Marty,

We would love to have your group visit the Hotel Oregon.

Our whimsical Paragon room on the first floor would be a great place to
host you and your people for a luncheon, and it is available at that
time. We could do this as a catered event, with a menu agreed upon in
advance, or I could speak to the restaurant people about doing it with a
regular menu.

Unfortunately, we don't have our own parking lot. My best thought is to
use the Church lot down the street or the top level of the courthouse
lot, two blocks down, which is our preferred place for overnight
parking.

As for rooms, I am sold out for the 25th, but there are several large
hotels in the area that would most likely be able to accommodate your
group.

If there is anything I can do to assist you please ask. I am looking
forward to your response. I will be away on vacation beginning
tomorrow, but I have cc'd my boss, Susan Truax, and she can certainly
answer any other questions you my have.

Best regards,

Eli Justman

Hotel/Sales Manager

McMenamins Hotel Oregon

310 NE Evans St.

McMinnville, OR 97128

Too bad the rooms are already sold out for the 25th. McMenamins have really cool rooms, and the price is right! :( We can decide which route we want to take on the lunch as we get a little closer and a better idea of how many will be attending! :)

#30 ·
Sounds like fun!!!! We will probably come down Friday and stay the night somewhere.

McMinnville Show and Shine, Lunch and Cruise!!!
October 25th

1. dunerunner & mrs dunerunner
2. BigCritter & LittleCritter
3. Hedders & HER

#31 ·
Super! A day trip for me - or overnight if I get to feeling extravagant. :p

McMinnville Show and Shine, Lunch and Cruise!!!
October 25th

1. dunerunner & mrs dunerunner
2. BigCritter & LittleCritter
3. Hedders & HER
4. Suze
20[/quote]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.