Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Smart in 2 times to the dealer , the first time he read the code no code , second time lefted for 2 days given no code for the false alarms so he will not change any parts,if I disconect the motion detector according with the manual it will not trigger a false alarm but I want the sistem to work accordingly.
Generaly the false alarms are 1 to 5 minutes after I left the car,the dealer check the door clerance and the sensitivity of the motion detector, and evrything is to factory specs..any one with this problem

Thanks

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Bet it's a 2009!! They have been having problems with the '09's producing error codes that are not indicative of the problem, clearing the error code and returning it to the owner. Good luck!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2001 does the same thing. I expect to have the sensor replaced when I go in for the first service in the spring. Until then, I turn the alarm off.

I think there is a thread somewhere about this. Can't you just demonstrate the problem for the dealer?

Best regards,
Irv

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 2008 and I canot show the problem to the dealer Its at random,I left the car with the alarm on for 15 days (I went to a trip)and my guees that the alarm din't went off ..I had good charge on the battery it started ok.

·
Registered
311 Posts
we have had a few of random alarms. one way to test it is to turn off the motion sensor on you switch bar. try that for a couple of weeks. if no random alarms then its a bad microwave sensor (they wont throw a code if they are too senstive, only if they short out will it throw a code)

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
My motion sensor had to be replaced for the same reason. (The problem started several days after I picked it up. It's been fine since replacement 7 months ago.) No codes were ever shown.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its a 2008 and I canot show the problem to the dealer Its at random,I left the car with the alarm on for 15 days (I went to a trip)and my guees that the alarm din't went off ..I had good charge on the battery it started ok.
I have replaced 4 or 5 of the sensors here.

Also I do not see that you have listed what type of vehicle you have but the cabrio has a micro switch in the right rear latch assembly that I have seen get out of adjustment, have them check that as well as that can make the car think the rear hatch is being opened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have had my Yellow Cab in 4 times for random alarm going off in the middle of the night, it seems to be temperature related, happens at about 35 degrees. Smart won't allow dealer to swap any parts because they can't identifiy the cause. If Smart continues to treat their customers the way they are treating me, I suspect they will go the way of the Yugo!!!!!!!!

I have a little over 800 miles on a car that I got late November and the dealer has had it most of the time with 600 miles of it just going back and forth to dealer

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand, but sometimes comon sense prevails and you try something, if you look at the service manual, logic can be applied as to what might be failing, the diagrams are very clear on the flow and modules that can fail. If you look at the service manual it appears that error codes are not logged in the Sam unit for the alarm system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I understand, however from what I understand the Alarm system does not post errors to the Sam unit, so everything is a guess and the service manual out lines a flow of how the system works, so somtimes swapping parts is the only way. As the quanity of cars increase, it seems that there is a lot of bad vibes, perhaps Smart is not spending enough time with their training of how to diaganose and repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

I have the same problem here... the dealership cannot find any "errors" so they really cant fix something that isn't "broken." If it is the sensor that needs to be replaced shouldn't that be covered on my warranty? I love my new smart car but my neighbors are really beginning to hate it right now. Thanks :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts