Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is normal but my 2009 Passion has a fan or motor, (electric) noise when the car is cold or the first start of the day. It is coming from the rear of the car and by the time I get to the street it stops. If you start the car later when it is warm it is not there. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
No, its a device for the fuel system or something like that. Sorry I am not making much sense, but with the 08's its the same. Its a 30 second whine and its over. Normal operation.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It's like the bilge fan on a boat, except it doesn't blow up if fails to come on. :D

Jeff is right again. :) A2Jack

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Ya know, I haven't noticed this after sitting all day long at work. I'll have to pay attention tomorrow. Certainly notice it first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It only comes on if the water temp is under about 97 degrees or if a sensor says it's necessary. It will run for less than about 30 seconds. Tech manuals are great sources of information. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's an air pump for exhaust emissions. It pumps air into the exhaust manifold to help complete the combustion of the richer fuel mixture when the motor is cold, and to help the catalytic converter heat up faster for better emission control.

In the 70s & 80s many cars had belt-driven air pumps for similar purpose. The smart's air pump is electric and managed by computer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happens in my 08 passion. A vrroooom noise goes on for 8-10 sec. I mentioned it to the dealer during a service visit in mid-Sept. Dealer said it was normal, though didn't explain why/what it was. I hear it almost every day.

a2jack - I was just in A2 for the holidays, was looking for other smarts, but only saw one white/silver smart in passing on Plymouth rd. Sorry I missed yours!

·
Registered
11 Posts
SHOUT OUT to PeteInLongBeach!

Funky community, you/us smartcar folks... That seldom-commented-upon "Start-up Whine" has been a mild source of interest since I first noticed it several months ago. But the little beast just continues to runs like a bear so I put off looking into it until today. On SCoA's site I discovered a great description of my exact issue, followed by an extensive, but not not very helpful, series of "comments." Granted, some of the take-offs on human, v. mechanical, "whining" were actually pretty humorous. But at the end of the fun 'n games I wasn't much closer to an answer to whether or not my '11 smart was close to wanting-to-destroy-itself during its first 30 seconds most mornings. Then PeteInLongBeach took the time to weigh in with his particularly cogent thoughts on the matter. Thank you for that! Now, until I hear otherwise, I'm cautiously optimistic that something besides that insanely impressive high-pitched and nasty whine will NOT be the thing that ultimately takes out our smartcar. Until then we'll just continue to enjoy the heck out of this unique driving experience, while we look forward to smart's introduction of potentially even more fuel efficient versions of this instantly classic conveyance! :cool:

It's an air pump for exhaust emissions. It pumps air into the exhaust manifold to help complete the combustion of the richer fuel mixture when the motor is cold, and to help the catalytic converter heat up faster for better emission control.

In the 70s & 80s many cars had belt-driven air pumps for similar purpose. The smart's air pump is electric and managed by computer.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm becoming of the opinion that threads should be auto-locked after being idle for 1 year.

It's not gonna happen, but I can dream....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zombie thread, Schmombie thread...

An Explanation: a few of us out there are at that certain age when everything-old-is-new-again. And when someone like that, me furinstance, is casting about for any viable input on something bugging me NOW, something from someone else's deep past that is remotely useful still seems quite fresh enough. Thus the "Thanks!" Probably need to just keep my head down, drive the smart more and comment less. Wonder how that's gonna work... :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Personally, I enjoy seeing the new folks disover their vehicles. Reminds me of my youth, several years ago when I began to discover all the intriguing features of my smart.
I remember seeing one for the first time when the $99. reservations were first announced. I was excited at the thought of a small gas efficient convertible, that I've always wanted. Then the paddle shifters, and the automated manual transmission. If I had known it was engineered by Mercedes Benz, I would have jumped at an O8. Being skeptical, and still having a perfectly functioning Sedan Deville that was still sucking gas like it was Amaretto, I waited until the Cash for clunkers program pushed me over the edge and I fell for it. So, no, I do not mind sharing my love and enthusiasm for all the funny noises and behaviors this little one has.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts