Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The smart Fanfare Horn upgrade is not included in the smartUSA Accessories catalog, but it IS included in the smart Parts List and can be ordered by the parts departments. The part number is A4515420320.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a fanfare horn installed on Tuesday. I ordered from my parts department at Smart Center Hartford and it came quickly. The factory installed horn I believe is located on the passenger side just inside the wheel well. The fanfare horn is installed on the opposite side of the car - the drivers side wheel well. It is a Smart part and I had it installed by a Smart Tech because I'm not the type to do that stuff myself. The horn is $66.38 plus an hour of labor.

I wasn't happy with the factory installed horn and I figured anything would be an improvement. Now, the sound of the horn isn't really 2 distinct tones more like one harmonic sound comprised of 2 tones. It's nice and loud giving the Smart that big car sound! I'm ready to take on that Escalade that cut me off the other day. Speak softly and carry a big stick.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I just got a fanfare horn installed on Tuesday. I ordered from my parts department at Smart Center Hartford and it came quickly. The factory installed horn I believe is located on the passenger side just inside the wheel well. The fanfare horn is installed on the opposite side of the car - the drivers side wheel well. It is a Smart part and I had it installed by a Smart Tech because I'm not the type to do that stuff myself. The horn is $66.38 plus an hour of labor.

I wasn't happy with the factory installed horn and I figured anything would be an improvement. Now, the sound of the horn isn't really 2 distinct tones more like one harmonic sound comprised of 2 tones. It's nice and loud giving the Smart that big car sound! I'm ready to take on that Escalade that cut me off the other day. Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Gromit, your testimony SOLD the horn. I went over and picked mine up today. Thanks - Brad

·
Registered
545 Posts
Still not convinced completely with the effectiveness of the fanfare horn... I purchased both, the OEM Fanfare horn and the super loud air horn which I think would be more effective where i live (we have about 2 accidents a day where truckers smash cars when they merge carelessly.)

I want to put in the an air horn when the car arrives. The dealer won't touch the air horn because it is non-OEM. I have seen the suggestions for the install of the horn, but I don't want to break anything and fear I might get started and not have a tool I may need. I have never done anything like this before. The last horn I installed was accessable when you opened the hood, it took seconds to swap out. The smart appears it will be a challenge since the dealer refuses to help me. I wish there was a "how to" guide to remove the panels, you think they would provide one since they tout the removal of the panels in almost everything they market on the smart. It almost seems they intentionally want us to try and break something. Gerrr.... Any suggestions? Does anyone plan on removing the panels, if you do I am sure we would all appreciate (maybe even pay for) a step by step "how to" with photos of the process. Where the screws and clips are to include any warnings along the way. Even a list of tools that will be needed / recommended... Any thoughts?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brad,

I too will initially have the smart fanfare horn installed. I understand that it goes in some other location on the passenger's side (wheel well?). But the fanfare horn isn't my ultimate choice or ultimate intent - I want one of the Euro ALTERNATING hi/lo air horns which is substatially larger than the stock horn, but may be a similar size to the fanfare.

So, I'll let scVAB deal with installing the fanfare and its bracket and wiring (possibly fusing too), then see if the double-trumpet hi/lo will fit in its place. Then, if it doesn't look too onerous I'll install the hi/lo myself. If it will fit but looks overly complicated I will have my independant repair guy (who also owns a shop in Greece and is familiar with such things) take a whack at it. He'll probably get the DRL job at the same time (that scVAB won't do either).

DBF

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I think I posted someplace on here that I was able to do the Griot Garage Italian Air horn (black one-$39.95) WITHOUT pulling off any panels. I simply removed 3 plastic expander fasteners on the left wheel splash shield, pulled the front part back enough to get into the horn, and just worked thru that space...the horn is right there in your face with the wheel removed and the car way up on a jackstand. Took me a half hour to r & r the horn and located according to the initial thread with pictures ....less removing all the body panels, that is. :D The only tool I needed was a 10mm 6 point medium depth socket and a shorty ratchet...pretty easy job really.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?p=43478#post43478

·
Registered
452 Posts
I was at smartcenter Hartford yesterday, and was unimpressed with them. For the same price you can get a set of Hella Supertone horns. They might not be to everyone's liking tone-wise, but I like them and they are made of very rugged metal.

I also asked about the fuse. There is no horn fuse listed in the owner's manual. It is # 31, which controls the horn and central locking. It's a 20A fuse, so it's not necessary to add a relay when changing to aftermarket horns (unless it's from a train...).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just replaced my horn too. I figured since I had to take my car apart to replace my drivers side front panel, I might as well replace the horn too. I got the Wolo Bad Boy from Pep Boys for $50. It was an easy install and it sound loud. Huge improvement from the factory horn.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just replaced my horn too. I figured since I had to take my car apart to replace my drivers side front panel, I might as well replace the horn too. I got the Wolo Bad Boy from Pep Boys for $50. It was an easy install and it sound loud. Huge improvement from the factory horn.
I was readng the installation instructions for the Wolo Bad Boy and one if them says to use the "enclosed" relay. No relay was enclosed, did you intall yours with or with out a relay? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine came with a relay, but you don't need to use it. You only need it if you are using a separate switch to operate the horn. You just plug in the blue and brown wires that you unplug from the factory horn and plug it directly to the new horn.

I was readng the installation instructions for the Wolo Bad Boy and one if them says to use the "enclosed" relay. No relay was enclosed, did you intall yours with or with out a relay? Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread, but was wondering if anyone has added the second smart low frequency horn to their 451. If so, are there any details on the wiring? The one picture I see of the factory unit shows what appears to be some sort of harness. I'm interested in knowing where it plugs in. I installed the high horn from a Hella set yesterday (through the wheel well - so no, you don't need to drop the front), and would like to wire in the matching low, so I can be heard when I use the horn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts