Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Long story short, I bought a 2013 Smart EV several month ago, and I love it so much that I just bought another one today, a 2015 Smart EV. LOL.

My question is that is there an aftermarket charger that works on 110v that can charge a little bit faster than the factory charger? I had an electrician to wire up a separate 110v, 20amp circuit. I was under the impression that the factory charger only charges at 12amp.

Is there such thing as a 110v 16amp charger that is available out there I can use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
922 Posts
The supplied factory equipment will charge as high as 16 amps. I've seen EVAccess report as high a charging rate as 1.8 kW. Just set the charging rate in the car to "max".

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
It really doesn't matter how much you put into the plug.

The onboard charger will only charge at a specific rate (3.3kw max on 2013-2015 cars)

Someone mentioned swapping out a charger from a 2016 (453 into a 451) since they new ones charge at 7.5kw?
Problem that I see is they have different size battery packs, so there is probably an issue with that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 240V charger from Amazon and wired an outlet to match. You get a faster charge (2x faster) with 240 than 110. So far the only problem I've found with the 240 charger is that the latch has to be flipped up with my thumb to engage the sensor on the car to start the charge. My typical recharge from about 50% is 2-ish hours. The 110 charger never leaves the rear hatch now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts