Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this YouTube video. Of a 2015 smart cabrio. It had a turbo engine, Cruise control, and paddle shifters. Which was said is not possible. Because of wiring to the steering wheel. Love the red and silver color combo. This must be a European smart car.

·
Super Moderator
29,396 Posts
He's speaking Portuguese and is in Brazil. The car has the turbo engine and there are no amber reflectors for the headlights, so it may be an EU car or a car made to Brazilian specs.... There must have been features we got that the other market cars didn't, which would allow for cruise control and paddles. No idea what those missing features would be. :unsure:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I really like those wheels too. Did smart offer those here?

View attachment 67906
I believe they were available in the US. I am not a fan of these wheels as the spacing on one of the spokes is uneven with the others. Looks strange to me but they are different. Other difference is with a US spec. 451, you could have factory cruise and no paddles shifters or paddle shifters and no cruise. The US gear selector has a park position that the EU shifter as seen in the does not. I believe you have to leave the transmission in reverse to lock the transmission. Also, the EU 451's have an adjustable steering column that not available in the US plus different tail lamp assemblies and rear fog lamps.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Guys according to the factory wiring diagram we could’ve had both cruise control and the paddle shifters.
Most likely Mercedes didn’t want to put it in the cars here.(gotta cut cost somewhere)

·
Super Moderator
17,725 Posts
Yes, we got those six spoke wheels as an option. My 2012 came with them. Shame I sold them because they're pretty rare!

SmartUSA gave an explanation for why we could get factory cruise or paddles, but not both at the same time:

Later U.S. spec 451s have more airbags than Euro spec cars. They didn't get the knee airbags or the side curtains. The extra bags take up the space on the SAM that would be used by the paddles or cruise control.

So you could say that the U.S. cars got features that others didn't.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those 6 spoke optional wheels, are my favorite. Next to the Brabus ones. We got the played down 451 Brabus here. No turbo, same horse power as a regular smart car. Same with the 453 version. The 453 Brabus where equipped, with dual exhaust. Wide range alloy wheel choices. The European 453’s got tilt wheels.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yes, we got those six spoke wheels as an option. My 2012 came with them. Shame I sold them because they're pretty rare!

SmartUSA gave an explanation for why we could get factory cruise or paddles, but not both at the same time:

Later U.S. spec 451s have more airbags than Euro spec cars. They didn't get the knee airbags or the side curtains. The extra bags take up the space on the SAM that would be used by the paddles or cruise control.

So you could say that the U.S. cars got features that others didn't.
I am still enjoying those wheels (and tires!) very much!! I'll gladly sell them back for, oh say, the current NADA retail value of my car. ;)

Should anything change for any reason at any time, you'll be the first one I reach back out to. I have 3 sets of wheels for this car should the infamous 3-lugs go extinct from the marketplace. (Yes, 12 wheels - original 2008 tires still on the original wheels in the event of an emergency, and a set of the silver steelies with both the triangle hub caps and factory wheel covers.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts