Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My suggestion is to make sure they MAKE IT available, since I know it took a little creative "complaining/escalating" to get reslults. I would contact your dealer and say "I need V12.23 and if you need reference call Downtown Mercedes/smart in Toronto, Canada for instructions on how and where to get it."

Good luck!

Now we'll have to see if this update is available in the lower 48.... :)

Made it a sticky so others can find it. Thanks for the video. :cool:

· Registered
1,635 Posts
Just to be clear, there are two different software updates depending on the build date of the nav unit. The split occurred in July 2011 with a hardware update. Earlier versions update from software version 8.20 to version 9.23. Later nav units update from software version 12.10 to version 12.23. The two updated operating system software versions are functionally identical.

· Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Right, forget my previous request, drove to another dealer, they have a guy there who knows a fair bit about the workshop side of smarts. 1 fairly small bribe and he copied V9.23 and V12.23 onto an SD card for me to play around with.

Regarding the maps, smart/Merc have resale rights so no other companies can sell the upgrade maps. They are locked to the serial number of the unit and the maps can only be activated once. I'll look at getting the maps and seeing if there is anything obvious to crack.

My 2x Highline stereos are the V1, still running V8.20 (1xUK and 1xUS), they are both the same except for the maps, the locked region code and the radio frequencies.

The V2 has a changeable region code but only 5 times, that must be crackable.

I need to get a V2 now as I think a lot more went into it and it is hiding some stuff.

· Registered
3,449 Posts
Regarding the maps, smart/Merc have resale rights so no other companies can sell the upgrade maps. They are locked to the serial number of the unit and the maps can only be activated once. I'll look at getting the maps and seeing if there is anything obvious to crack.
This is quite confusing to me. If I go the GPS Navigation System | HERE | Navigation.com website, I can order an update for my parents' '09 C350, without having to go to a dealership. In the past I have helped them purchase one, and they load without any kind of activation code/serial number lock.

Well, I guess the bright side is that it doesn't seem as bad as updating the newer Toyota HDD based Navs. I think I spent more money and time doing that for a '12 Prius v than if I had just had them send it to the dealer and have the dealer do it!

I'd be interested in knowing the size of the map update. The third dealer I called about a map update seems to be a winner. The manager even stated that he would try to eat the cost of the SD card if he could find them cheap. He told me he went through the registration process at the www.bosch-activation.com website, and found that the update is not quite available yet. Price should be $249, just like a Mercedes one, but sounds like he's on his own about getting the SD media. If I could figure out what size he'd need, I'd like to just mail him one. (I'm sure parts managers have better things to do than to try to source SD cards. I say mail because the 3rd dealer is about a 96 mile round trip away. The Toyota Nav update was on/used up a 16GB USB dongle....)

· Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I have managed to add my own start up screen before the smart logo.

and I have managed to reset the DVD region change count down.
I'm confident I can change all of the graphics too including the car marker on the sat nag. I'm going to try and add a smart in there instead.

Still working on maps, resetting the security code and running other nag programs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.