Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a rear tire lose traction going around a corner quickly?

Rear tire air pressure 36lbs. ✔
Lug nuts all tight 95 ft lbs. ✔
Brake drum not loose ✔
Dry Pavement ✔
No Paint Lines ✔

The only thing I can think of is, the rear tire lifting during a turn.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,120 Posts
Anyone have a rear tire lose traction going around a corner quickly?

The only thing I can think of is, the rear tire lifting during a turn.
Yes, hard cornering in a smart can be quite a thrill especially when the electronic nannies kick in.

Flat pavement or crowned? Remember rear suspension is not IRS.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I would think the traction control should have kicked in before losing traction or even feeling anything. I have had the traction control kick in going down the highway and hitting some ice, and only once spinning out because all 4 wheels were on ice. By the time I had moved, 3 more cars did the exact same thing.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First time it happens, poo may follow? :eek:

Try it @ OTD on wet pavement with fall leaves, it will poo you!
Pretty Close

It happened at a freeway on ramp from an main arterial road, I had the green arrow and accelerated through the turn when it happened. OOOH what was that!!!
I pulled over onto the shoulder and checked for loose lug nuts, walked back to the corner to look for oil, grease, water dead bird guts anything to explain what happen.
First time it happened, it was with my wife and I was doing some "spirited" driving on the curves in Red Rock Canyon. It wasn't bad and I thought it was maybe a little oil on the road. My wife looked at me like 'WHAT HECK WAS THAT' she believed the oil on the road theory. She added she was glad we weren't on a motorcycle.

·
Administrator
29,525 Posts
If the ESP is kicking in there should be a flashing light in the center of the instrument cluster....:)

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
I would think the traction control should have kicked in before losing traction or even feeling anything. I have had the traction control kick in going down the highway and hitting some ice, and only once spinning out because all 4 wheels were on ice. By the time I had moved, 3 more cars did the exact same thing.
I've had mine activate when going around a wet corner too fast, and going around a corner where there had been some sand spilled on the road. I've even felt it snatch a bit while accelerating over railroad tracks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts