Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened to me!

I was sitting at the corner of College Drive and Harbour View Blvd in Suffolk, VA when the TCC College was letting out and this kid got confused and came at me head on in a older model Saturn.

I am so thankful that I decided to install a much louder horn because it likely kept this from being a much worse accident because as soon as I saw the big dummy come into my lane I held the horn for dear life!

The idiot stopped texting long enough to look up and swerve less than 10 feet away - of course it was too late as his entire side of his car made contact with my front driver side. It tore his mirror off and did some significant damage to his car from what I could see in my rear view mirror as the jerk hit and ran. He took off!

When I discovered that my damage did not immobilize my car and I had a chance in the traffic I did a hard U-turn and followed the little freak. The problem was he was too far ahead of me and lost me at the first red light. I called 911 and the police took my statement. I called insurance and had them do an estimate. The next day I visited the college and spoke with the campus police, they will be keeping an eye out for the car and if it shows up again they will call me and the police to report the tag information...

The good news is I was not hurt and it looks like the only damage is to the drivers side corner panel which will be $210 installed. There are a few scratches on my headlight lens, but they aren't that noticeable. The adjuster suggested that a auto body shop could buff them out if I wanted it removed...

So - If anyone sees a teal/green Saturn with a after market spooler on the back please send me the license plate numbers. They need to be turned in for hit and run and I also need to report it to my insurance.

It was interesting and the officer said it would have been about a 40 mph impact...

Here is a link to the photos on Facebook:
Brad Garbus's Photos - Smart vs. Saturn 8SEPT09 | Facebook

ENJOY!

·
Registered
560 Posts
First off, I hope they catch the guy and charge him.

Second, thanks for posting this. I've been having a non-stop argument with my friend about how dangerous he believes the smart to be. I cannot change his mind about the smart, no matter how many safety articles I send him. He steadfastly believes the smart will shatter like a pinata at the slightest impact.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smart is built like a tank. People don't realize it... I now have living proof. The officer was shocked when he saw what little damage I had. I was sitting there when the guy hit me and it just made the car wiggle, but I didn't budge.
You should take your friend to the dealership and let him see the rollcage.
These cars really are SMART!

·
Banned
441 Posts
I can't express with enough hostility what I think of people who text and drive....especially young kids with less experience driving in the first place and worse, those who hit and run.

If you got a good description of the vehicle though, he's caught unless he stops going to that college. I would camp him out myself probably or inform the college newspaper and see if you can get them to do some investigative reporting. When I worked on my college newspaper we had plenty of time to do some investigation for campus shenaningans. I'd give them a call. If they catch the guy they can write about it and you can deal with the perp via the police.

That said, glad you came out well. That's one thing the smart doesn't do well...chase down other cars. How frustrating.

But, I am sure you'll catch him (please let us know if you do) and I am glad you're ok! Your baby will no doubt get fixed through insurance right?

Well it finally happened to me!

I was sitting at the corner of College Drive and Harbour View Blvd in Suffolk, VA when the TCC College was letting out and this kid got confused and came at me head on in a older model Saturn.

I am so thankful that I decided to install a much louder horn because it likely kept this from being a much worse accident because as soon as I saw the big dummy come into my lane I held the horn for dear life!

The idiot stopped texting long enough to look up and swerve less than 10 feet away - of course it was too late as his entire side of his car made contact with my front driver side. It tore his mirror off and did some significant damage to his car from what I could see in my rear view mirror as the jerk hit and ran. He took off!

When I discovered that my damage did not immobilize my car and I had a chance in the traffic I did a hard U-turn and followed the little freak. The problem was he was too far ahead of me and lost me at the first red light. I called 911 and the police took my statement. I called insurance and had them do an estimate. The next day I visited the college and spoke with the campus police, they will be keeping an eye out for the car and if it shows up again they will call me and the police to report the tag information...

The good news is I was not hurt and it looks like the only damage is to the drivers side corner panel which will be $210 installed. There are a few scratches on my headlight lens, but they aren't that noticeable. The adjuster suggested that a auto body shop could buff them out if I wanted it removed...

So - If anyone sees a teal/green Saturn with a after market spooler on the back please send me the license plate numbers. They need to be turned in for hit and run and I also need to report it to my insurance.

It was interesting and the officer said it would have been about a 40 mph impact...

Here is a link to the photos on Facebook:
Brad Garbus's Photos - Smart vs. Saturn 8SEPT09 | Facebook

ENJOY!

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Oh boy, I can imagine the mental anguish this has caused too. You may be damaged for life. :) Sue that puppy WHEN (not IF) they catch him.

Seriously though, I'm glad you are OK.

I agree - the louder horn DOES make a difference. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
After looking at the pics. did it hurt the alignment at all. Hope they get the kid. If I was you I would just wait outside the same spot next week. he will go by again. He has to go to class.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
That metal isn't the least bit entertaining and it's dumb as a boot to boot! It's such a boron.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts