Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Smart for a few days now and I have a few questions for all the experts :)

1: Why does the lock button inside the car below the radio flash when you lock the doors from the outside? I don't think mine has an alarm?

2: What are those little vent thingys right by the overhead dome light? Looks like speakers but no sound comes out?

3: Is there a way to make the car horn beep once when you lock the car with the key? I know the lights flash once but I always like that sound so I can be sure I locked the car :)

4: When I plug my iPhone into the usb port can I listen to Pandora through the car speakers or just itunes?

Thanks!!

Oh and I get stopped by at least a few people a day wanting to ask me questions or look at my car! This morning a woman followed me to work just to ask me where I got it!

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
1. With no alarm, there is an imobilizer that is active so the car can not be jump started with out a matching key.
2. The vent thingys are cute aren't they. That's all. :p
3. The smarts with the alarm system do have a rather loud chirp when the doors are locked or unlocked. An after market alarm system might provide that for you. Check maybe at Best Buy where they install such things or maybe an auto sound shop.
4. Anyone else care to answer this one? I have an 09 Radio 10 with an aux jack only, so I am completely ignorant on this one.

As for getting stopped, welcome to the club.
I observed a man taking pictures from all angles around my car from within a restaurant. He sat on the curb and waited for the owner, me, to finish and come out to the car, and then the questions began to flow.
A couple walked by once and I overheard one say to the other, oh I love this car, and the other replied in terse tones: Well, I sure don't!
Most people don't know anything of the engineering that went into the smart or by whom it was engineered. (S)watch (M)ercedes (ART) has been the biggest kept secret in the US market.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't know specifically for the smart but on an older Benz I have the vents up by the roof are for the climate control. There is a little fan that sucks air in those vents to monitor inside temp. You don't want to aim your dash vents too high in that car or it will think the AC air is too cold and warm up the interior. Might be the same on smarts with the climate control.

·
Registered
791 Posts
smart name

not sure if I remember these facts correctly, but think the name comes from Swatch, Mercedes, and art. But I'm an old geezer and may have this confused...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you again everyone for all the great info!! I have had my smart a week now!!!

Few more newb questions...

1: It will be time this weekend to wash the new car. What do you recommend? Car wash or hand?

2: How can you remove that Carmax logo on the back?

3: Any way to add blutooth? I would love to be able to drive handsfree.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Try using a hair dryer and slowly begin to peel one end off.
Be careful of burning your fingers or damaging the paint.
If there is any adhesive left over then try 'Goo Gone' or maybe cooking oil.

My smart has never experienced a car wash.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thank you again everyone for all the great info!! I have had my smart a week now!!!

1: It will be time this weekend to wash the new car. What do you recommend? Car wash or hand?

2: How can you remove that Carmax logo on the back?

1. By hand. Automatic car washes to a horrible job. Any regular old carwash solution will be fine. Use a soft bristle car washing brush, this draws the dirt away from the paint instead of rubbing it in

2. If it's just a vinyl sticker, hairdryer. If it's a plastic emblem, dental floss.

3. There are some aftermarket solutions that may be able to plug in directly or splice into the speaker output. Otherwise upgrade to the touch screen head unit.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello again from NC! I'm glad you decided to buy a smart. You won't regret it. As far as questions from strangers you are now the coolest guy in the parking lot where ever you go.
I was in the eye doctor today, and I heard the staff discussing that smart car out in the parking lot. And wondering who it belonged to. Me.
I don't think it's any big secret and I don't believe I'm in danger of identity theft so since my name is Bruce Willis (no joke) I stood up and said "I'm sure it belongs to Bruce Willis. I heard he was here." Much checking of waiting rooms ensued. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts

Not a good idea, Keep your hands on the steering wheel!! (just Kidding)

Back when these were new, (2008) you did have to add extra time for travel to answer all the questions. When you own a smart, you become an instant Rock Star and if you are a shy person, you won't like the attention.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Hand wash, i have matte paint and i still wash it like how i washed my non matte smart, except i use a matte cleaner every once in a while, still looks immaculate after 4 months, i literally clean it every day but give it a proper hose wash every 3 weeks or so

Also do not use towels on the plastic panels around the window in the back, it will leave scratches, use micro fiber towels, that is what i clean my entire car with now, it works great and feels good... especially on the car. :cool:

And bluetooth? every smart has bluetooth capability... its called putting your phone on speaker when you get a call! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
A good idea to use a detailing spray in between washes. it helps knock down the static charge on the surface of the plastic panels, and use a microfiber cloth. They are cheap and work the best without scratching. Eventually you will see scratches and they can be taken care of by using a cleaner wax or in extreme cases use a ClayBar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it possible to have a dealer upgrade the radio to the navigation unit? With it looking the same as if it had came with it originally?

What about the black plastic trim around the door handles? Do you do anything to keep that shiny?

One more question. lol. How do you clean the dashboard? It feels almost like cloth so I am guessing armor-all won't work?

Thanks so much guys!!!!

PS: My mom said if i ever have a flat tire I can pull over and just use an oreo cookie as a spare :)

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
You could upgrade to the smart nav unit but from most of the reports you'd be better off getting an aftermarket double DIN unit - more and better features at a much lower price - Black Friday starts soon!

Follow the cleaning instructions in the owners manual or talk to your smart center - that cloth fabric isn't very robust and looks easy to damage if the wrong technique is used. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts