Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bought my last couple smart cars from Carmax. Each time I look at the Carmax website there are less and less of them. The last time I looked there was only 18 smarts total in the entire U.S. They sell many brands of electric cars also, but they have never had any smart ED's. Looks like they are discontinuing sales of smart cars since the petro versions have ended and the only new ones being sold by smart dealers are electric smarts the past couple of years.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Plenty of them listed for sale on cars.com, and Cargurus.com. You won’t see the EV smarts for sale. They can’t service them, anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
17,595 Posts
It almost seems like the used smart market is stabilizing? The majority of the used smarts I see nowadays are basket cases, EDs, and former Car2Go units.

Reactions: magilly00

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had bought my last couple smart cars from Carmax. Each time I look at the Carmax website there are less and less of them. The last time I looked there was only 18 smarts total in the entire U.S. They sell many brands of electric cars also, but they have never had any smart ED's. Looks like they are discontinuing sales of smart cars since the petro versions have ended and the only new ones being sold by smart dealers are electric smarts the past couple of years.
CarMax refuses to deal with smart EV's due to questions surrounding the "Battery assurance plans" that some customers have and some don't.
One of our members Steven Villatoro found this out when he asked CarMax to buy his almost brand new smart EV and CarMax said 'Sorry, we can't.'

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
"Battery Assurance Plus" is dead-dead-dead. MB's policy on the program is basically, amnesia. Nobody in MB will even admit the program even ever existed. The battery pack is 2013-15 ED's is the property of the car owner - period.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Truth on that one. I have 2800 miles on my 2018 ED. Yet, service has to be 10,000 miles or one year whichever comes first.

I got transferred three times to get to the department which happens to be road service. I may have been able to handle that myself.

It took a long time for him to find the nearest service center.

After a while he came back and said, Mercedes or SOA's policy is to give a complimentary tow one way.

For me that means there’s days and multiple charges if there is even a route that could get me back home due to the location of the very few charging stations out there.

The last tow cost 750$ to get it back home.

After a while questioning him on why my high end service garage has not gotten the Smart chip necessary to diagnose the car which is just to check the condition of the battery. He told me as far as his knowledge goes, the desiccant filter is required on the second service date, not the first.

I told him my service station already paid 2000$ for the chip and smart ware to diagnose the vehicle. He said he didn’t know anything about that. Then added, why on earth did you buy a Smart Car anyway ?

Stunned, I didn’t say anything but I will call back after I call the Smart service center a little less than 400 miles round trip.

I had a problem with the 2017 gas I turned in early because I paid the lease in front. When a year hit, things started shutting down then the entire display was filled with messages.

If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it. Will the 2018 ED's computer shut the car down at some point ?

·
Super Moderator
17,595 Posts
Programming a car to shut down when it's time for scheduled maintenance would be a reckless - if not criminal - practice. It would be my guess that whatever issue you experienced with your 2017 gasser only coincidentally happened around the same time your maintenance warning popped up.

My 2016 gasser says it's 200 days overdue for service (it's not, I just haven't yet reset the counter), it still runs and drives as it should.

We have a bunch of ED owners here who do the yearly services through DIY (someone even invented their own battery tester), though I have no idea how that impacts BAP.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Plenty of them listed for sale on cars.com, and Cargurus.com. You won’t see the EV smarts for sale. They can’t service them, anywhere.
After a recent scare when it looked like an accident was going to get our 2008 totalled, I started calling around and found that a lot of the cars.com smarts listed had been sold long before. I think it's not updated as quickly as you might hope.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Programming a car to shut down when it's time for scheduled maintenance would be a reckless - if not criminal - practice.
The sad thing is that there is not a law against it, so a car manufacturer can legally do it. They will gently and gradually introduce such a "feature" into their cars until people will not believe that cars ever worked any other way...

·
Banned
214 Posts
So, no more smarts ?

I saw someone post on the forum, service centers have been cut another third.

There isn’t anyone that can service ed, ev, eq's anywhere ? I’m taking this seriously because I have two years left on my paid lease.

My car is due for the year checkup now. After my car wash accident, the next day the battery showed emergency level.

I then did research on water and lithium. A guy on you tube took a small battery apart, a genius no doubt, of course he was wearing black nitrile gloves so ......

He took the strip of lithium and dropped it into a Pyrex bowl. Instant ignition, blowtorch and then a pop at the end.

It burned a hole in the glass.

I saw a pic of the ice fishing Tesla today. Nothing much left.

Is there going to be a 2019 Smart ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bought my 2015 smart citybeam on Carfax. Carfax had several ED smarts for sale in their listings, but this was 2017. They have plenty of the newer smart cars for sale from all over the country. I have seen 5 other smart cars on the road around me in the past 16 months. Just yesterday, a white Passion coupe, looked older as it had the black along the bottom was on the same Xway, going the same direction, and we drove together for several miles before he(she?) sped up and exited. I know there are more people out there with these cars, but no way to get in contact with them. Shame.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I checked the site and while they do have one specifically listed as "electric" the coupe is called "2019 smart fortwo coupe EQ" and when I looked that up it says it is electric. So. No more ICE?

One more question. Would the car be able to be licensed in the USA? But only if ICE. I am not interested in an electric car.

https://www.mercedes-benz-duval.ca/en/new-catalog/smart/2019-smart-fortwo-coupe-eq-id10970

"EQ fortwo Prime Cabrio | smart USA
https://www.smartusa.com/models/eq-prime-cabrio
Quiet, but always the center of attention, the smart EQ fortwo cabrio prime line embodies timeless chic when it comes to electric cars."

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
The only new smarts in North America now are electric, with the designation changed to "EQ" to follow Mercedes' other EVs. As of 2020 all smarts sold worldwide will be the electric versions. :)

·
Banned
214 Posts
Shocked

Programming a car to shut down when it's time for scheduled maintenance would be a reckless - if not criminal - practice. It would be my guess that whatever issue you experienced with your 2017 gasser only coincidentally happened around the same time your maintenance warning popped up.

My 2016 gasser says it's 200 days overdue for service (it's not, I just haven't yet reset the counter), it still runs and drives as it should.

We have a bunch of ED owners here who do the yearly services through DIY (someone even invented their own battery tester), though I have no idea how that impacts BAP.
I had my yearly NYS inspection done one day late. Not recommended for this area.

Apparently, Smart finally sent my shop the chip with software embedded.

Meanwhile, I read the manual concerning service checkups. The mandatory first checkup is grossly in conflict with Mercedes and the authorized service dealership. The first checkup according to both only requires a battery check.

I read further that in extreme cases of cold for a few days at a named temperature, the car will shut down to protect the battery. It will allow you to restart to get to safety.

While I would take your advice over anyone from Mercedes it is pretty specific.

The list of required maintenance is absurd. They require the brake oil be changed. That is just one. It’s an all inclusive we got you list in case anything happens. I realize that.

The desiccant filter does not have to be checked until year two. Meanwhile it warns that battery performance will start to diminish the day you buy it.

The manager was helpful. I asked him to fill out whatever he could without committing perjury. I asked if he could run the smart car diagnostics. He told me if there are no messages or warning lights, it would come back with nothing.

He held up a diagnostic report. It was a blank sheet, he said you could have it. It clearly states nothing but it was gold. He was right.

I also asked him to check the under carriage for leaks or damage to the frame and wherever the battery is located. None. I was not going to spend a lot of money for a 500 round trip. Daimler already got me once.

So, he wrote the truth in the service manual. Mercedes has told me more than once I could have service done at any shop but the manual says otherwise.

I did due diligence. I hope Mercedes did their's so I don’t have any problems. It seems like it’s a three armed beast that wants to get rid of the other two.

Thank you Ms. Mercedes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts