Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiat permanently slashes all 2017 "500" prices by $2,000+

And it gets even better. You can add the Cabrio feature to any model for just $1,495. A base 500 Pop is now $15,990. If you want it in Cabrio spec, that'll be just $1,495 extra.

The 500 Abarth price is cut even further, down $2,500 compared to last year's model. And again, if you want it in Cabrio spec, that'll be just $1,495 extra.

Despite prices getting cut by about 11%, Fiat is adding some nice additional standard equipment to each model.

The ante has just been upped, and smart will lose its claim to the cheapest soft-top in town.

Fiat cuts prices on 500, 500C, and 500 Abarth ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fiat permanently slashes all 2017 "500" prices by $2,000+

Those are some good prices.....Are you thinking about going Italian again?

Welllllllll, now that you mention it…

The 124 Spider Abarth is a car that has my attention. I loved my Fiat that I sold for this smart. :(

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Introduced in 2007 the 500 design is getting a little long in the tooth.

"Through midyear, sales of the little 500 were down about 50 percent over year-ago figures."

Subtle changes and discounts sounds like a "Hail Mary" by Fiat?

But then again that cheap gas halo isn't driving buyers into smart Centers either...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
THIS is a Fiat Spider....(formally mine 7 years ago before the smart)

The Fiata is NOT a Fiat Spider in my book

The only clue to the original is the main grille opening and the fact that it is 2 seats and a drop top....
However I wouldn't mind kicking the tires around on the new 124

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Yeah it's a pastiche for sure.

I wonder if smart will have a fire sale on 453s because their sales are down massively as well. That would kick the crap out of the used values and early adopters.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kheran's 124 is (was?) gorgeous.

It's irrelevant what the new 124 is called. That'd be like saying, "I once married a woman named Susan. Now I don't like any other Susan because they're not my Susan." Comparisons based on an old name are nonsensical.

The new 124 is a revamped Miata which, as one journalist stated, was "designed in Japan, and polished in Italy." Of course, the 124 is also built in Japan on the same assembly line with the extremely reliable Miata.

I've driven the new 124 and the new Miata, and of the two, I much prefer the tweaks that Fiat has made. It is brilliant. But if I were to order one... ahem... it would be the Abarth version like this, without the blacked-out hood/trunk:

No matter whether it's called a 124, or a 125, or a 126, or a 387,968,052, I love it. And for the record, I often used to slalom the old 124... and loved it, also.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Just my .02, but one of the big car mags described the Miata vs. new Fiat 124 as "making a great car good." YMMV, of course. :)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just my .02, but one of the big car mags described the Miata vs. new Fiat 124 as "making a great car good." YMMV, of course. :)

Fiat (and smart) cheap-shots are a dime a dozen. I'd gladly debate that half-witted reporter's quip all day long.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
kheran's 124 is (was?) gorgeous.
Was..... That was my wife's car when we got married and we kept it 24 years. ( Still have the wife) It wasn't my fav though..I had a 81 x 1/9 when we got married and I thought the X was a better car for throwing around corners than the Spider. The spider tended to try to keep going straight on corners being so nose heavy with that 2 liter motor.:D

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,565 Posts
I have driven a number of X-1/9's and 850 Spyders. Both cars were a lot of fun on the street and also on an autocross circuit. I wish there were still options to own fun, small, and fairly low cost sports cars like in the 60's and 70's. :crying:

·
17,478 Posts
I've always wanted to drive an Abarth. :D My grand plan is still to get a manual 453 (against the other half's wishes he he) and give it a growly exhaust (also against the other half's wishes).

That said, Fiat's deep discounting doesn't surprise me. FCA is having issues with growing...and it's mostly because Sergio honestly has no idea what he's doing. He's throwing things at walls and seeing what sticks. And while he's done well with the Chrysler portfolio, he has no idea how to keep FCA growing as a whole. Which I mean, that isn't entirely bad. It's better to not grow than to be failing...besides, that gives us killer discounts like we're seeing today! :D

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
2013 the Fiat studio's here were selling Abarths. $6-8 discounts. Can't give away the 500L's The 500X is really a nice car. Just too, $$$$.
A nice 124 going to run you $26-30K. My 2011 built 500, is now 5 years old. Very few issues. Fiats have a very poor resale value. There are still 2015 500L's sitting on the studio lots.

No matter how much Fiat going to discount vehicle. There is no market out there for niche city cars. Like the smart, and 500. Fuel is cheap, across the country. Small crossover are the popular vehicle. My loaded 500 is a 9 year old platform. Really fun to drive. Still a fresh design for that age.

Jeep's are the money maker for FCA.

·
17,478 Posts
Right on the money (giggle) smark. Even more so, both RAM and Jeep are just rolling in the dollars for FCA. While they are having trouble moving Fiats and motivating enough people to buy Dodge Darts to make the endeavour worth it, they can't stop selling Jeeps and RAM trucks. Jeeps are selling so well they're actually going to sell a pickup model.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I have to tell you that while I love my 08 cabrio(Max) I love my 15 Abarth Cabrio (Adder) more. For about the same $$$ my Abarth is still quirky but a much better car IMHO. I don't plan on getting rid of either in the long run. If the new 453 isn't for you (too much like a "real car" for me) you might want to take a look at one of the 500 series.. I sold my 12 Fiat 500 C Pop and purchased the 15 Abarth C. The sound itself is worth the cost of admission. Remember live is TOO short to drive an appliance!

I might need to explain the cost listed above. In 08 I paid a little over $18K for Max. In 2013 I purchased a new left over Fiat 500 C POP for around $14k listed around $20 at the time. Then I found Adder a 15 Abarth C with only 400 miles on the clock last Nov. The original sticker was around $34K but I only paid $18 plus shipping to Fl.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Steve, I had several Miatas over the years and can say that they were the best British Roadster ever built .... it just took the Japanese to built it. I would say the same holds true for the new 124 just sup Italian for British... well maybe not. Go for it..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts