Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ended my 3 year run with a highly subsidized MBFS lease that left me (and many others) with a residual double if not triple the current market value for the ED. I attempted to negotiate a more friendly buyout but MBFS would prefer to take a loss at auction and write it off on the books rather than keep a satisfied CUSTOMER? Yet again, what a Business Model?

I do miss Sparky - MY15 flame yellow w/titania tridion and accessorized (to include regen paddles) to my specifications. Because NC is not a CARB state, ED was leased in CA and I paid for the shipping. Turned in a pristine low mileage ED example and paid my agreed (at lease inception) $400 turn-fee. Should note that during that transaction, it was "whispered" that though this particular smart Center only sold ONE ED and won't be selling any smarts going forward - their maintenance "support" may be short term?

I had contemplated a MY17 ED lease but there were hurdles that couldn't be ignored and the main one was, NO MY17 ED OWNERS REPORTING THEIR ACTUAL RANGE EXPERIENCE? Do you not find this odd? I could elaborate but won't "tell all."

Add to that an ignorant smart Center who in my endeavor to lease closer geographically and reduce/avoid shipping beyond range told me that it was my responsibility to file for the Federal Credit? Seriously ignorant as only MBFS, owner of the leased ED can claim the credit!

After a favorable experience with ED 451 the pre-owned bargains were very tempting until it was announced that connectivity was ending AND that it was never available for the MY17 ED. Over the 3 year lease, I found ED's connectivity complete with texting/emailing a very valuable tool. Honestly couldn't imagine an EV regardless of marquee without some form of APP communication?

EV Life is an interesting change - you forget about just how dirty a gas station can be and with a "short range" EV the EVSE becomes a daily ritual to make certain that your "APPLIANCE" is ready to roll in the morning. Here is where connectivity can be important as being able to "pre-condition" ED's interior and battery can serve to enhance the winter range.

With cheap gas prices a reality, a new dog and NC having not shown any movement toward encouraging new public EV charging stations I began the search for a replacement. Considered Tesla, Lexus (hybrid), Nissan Leaf and Toyota Prius. Without going into the decision process the primary reason that smart was NOT on the short list is the lack of connectivity and NO MY18 news?

After considerable tire kicking - 3 weeks after turning Sparky back to MBFS I bought myself a Birthday Present - a Prius (Gen3, XW30).

As with all things smart - YMMV.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
After considerable tire kicking - 3 weeks after turning Sparky back to MBFS I bought myself a Birthday Present - a Prius (Gen3, XW30)...

Congrats, Tom. A solid choice, for sure.

If we had made a guessing game out of this, I would’ve had you in a Bolt or new Leaf.

Hard to argue with your reasoning, as usual!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Congratulations Tom!!! And Happy Birthday!

Although Toyota has it's own quirks, range anxiety is definitely not one, at least for most of their models.

I'm over on priuschat with the same user name..........

See you over on the other side!!!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Before I convinced my parents to get a solar PV system on the house, (as we live with them), we had to consider what size we would get. I took a year's worth of electricity usage just before sizing and divided that into their cost. It turns out they were spending about $0.28 per kWhr. Of course tiered pricing makes this more complicated, in particular when it's HOTTER and AC use is more of a necessity.

Financially solar is not exactly a way to save over gas, at least for us, and at least at current low gas prices. Definitely happy with your decision. In particular considering MB did not seem to plan well in helping owners switch to 3G network connectivity. My wife has a '13 C-MAX Energi which was 2G, but Ford replaced the modem with a 3G one absolutely free, a long time ago. Hers has a remote start from an ap and the remote, while her $72k sticker '15 BMW 535i GT X-drive lease has connectivity that barely works and is without remote start. A $33k-$34k sticker American car with so much more to offer, IMHO.....

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And without pictures . . .

. . . it never happened?

Yes, Prius (hybrids) can be quirky but all the electronic gadgetry makes it a "Toys R Us" on wheels!

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Congrats
I felt the same way after i turned mine in. Had regen paddles and ambient interior lighting, and a terrible residual, mine was 13k
But after a year I came back after finding a 2016 with 8900 miles for 6k
its not my everyday, but as a second fill in car its great.
Good choice in cars, and i hope you come back, these things are really fun.
I saw a really nice yellow with silver trident with regen paddles for 5600.00
Im glad i waited a couple weeks, the deals out there are unreal right now
Jim out

·
Registered
665 Posts
It's getting very difficult for many people to decide to try and stay 'Smart' when MB is doing so much to destroy the brand. Maybe destroy is too strong a word? Not if you follow Tom's adventures and others trying to cope with all the Centers closing and very little service available.

Just this week MB Canada sent out an email that likely went out in the States as well about the new EQ that will be coming. Nice looking and all that, but it is an EV and you have to wonder where the service can be obtained if all the current places are closed or closing. Expanding places would seem to be the way to go, but they don't appear to agree.

I wanted another Smart if I were lucky enough to get to drive again, but deciding to do that would be very difficult when it feels like MB wants to phase out the model.

Many folks here love their Smarts. I did too and it was perfect for my needs. I sure hope I'm wrong however I have read nothing or heard anything positive about future Smarts to encourage me. I keep coming back hoping to be corrected.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm curious how the lease turn-in process went. I just got this glossy booklet from MBF detailing all the requirements - including a "third party pre-inspection". The whole process looks potentially onerous - and this is before figuring out how to get it to the leasing dealership 220 miles away, assuming that they will not allow me to drop it off at my local MB/Smart dealership. I'm thinking of towing it there on a dolly myself (by the real wheels of course). All maintenance has been done except the 2-year brake fluid replacement.

As far as the next car, we were thinking of a new Chevy Volt - which would become primarily for the missus' use - electric for local, gas for getting to her mothers on the other side of the state. But, the $7500 tax credit is still in major danger at the hands of the fanatics in DC. If that goes, we will be priced out. Maybe a used Volt - although I'm only interested in a Gen II and there are probably not very many on the market yet.

Plan B will be to keep her still reliable '08 Hyundai Elantra and buy a used '15 Smart ED - but I really did not want to have to deal with three cars in household.

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm curious how the lease turn-in process went. I just got this glossy booklet from MBF detailing all the requirements - including a "third party pre-inspection". The whole process looks potentially onerous - and this is before figuring out how to get it to the leasing dealership 220 miles away, assuming that they will not allow me to drop it off at my local MB/Smart dealership. I'm thinking of towing it there on a dolly myself (by the real wheels of course). All maintenance has been done except the 2-year brake fluid replacement.
One month out you should be able to request that the ED pre-inspection be done at YOUR home or office. Takes about an hour.

Tow 220 miles back to the original leasing dealer, "fu-ge-da-boud-it."

The actual turn-in can then be done at the local M-B Taj Mahall

Easy peasy . . .

·
17,479 Posts
They’ve certainly changed the lease turn-in process since I leased Tucker! :eek:

Congratulations on the Prius MB DNA! I loved reading about your ED experience. It seems that the ED experience is even more varied than ICE ownership.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
One month out you should be able to request that the ED pre-inspection be done at YOUR home or office. Takes about an hour.
Are there going to be any ramifications of not doing the 2-year brake fluid change? And if I do do it, I will do it myself. Any ramifications about that?

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are there going to be any ramifications of not doing the 2-year brake fluid change? And if I do do it, I will do it myself. Any ramifications about that?
Based on my experience it's all about the "look" for the pictures that I believe also become the auction portfolio. Doesn't need to be detailed/waxed just clean inside and out.

Seems that the remaining tire tread measurement is their money. maker as they will charge!

If you were DIY, have receipts. Doubt that on a 3 year lease they would ding you for brake fluid flush?

Just be friendly with the inspector - shouldn't have to volunteer anything unless asked.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Have a very similar one in the garage with my 2 smarts. Love it. It’s our 2nd Prius, (next will probably be the prime premium or advanced in blizzard pearl/moonstone.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
"film @ 11:00" - ED, moving on . . .

Since we have Prii, I will be packing my Mongoose Pro when/if I go to trips to your areas. (The Prius equivalent of the Mercedes Star Machine). (MB DNA, my uncle passed in October. I am so glad I got to see him one last time when we went to NC last June. As we were leaving I took a good look at him and my aunt on their balcony. Hopefully an image I will keep in my mind for the rest of my life).....

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
... my uncle passed in October. I am so glad I got to see him one last time when we went to NC last June. As we were leaving I took a good look at him and my aunt on their balcony. Hopefully an image I will keep in my mind for the rest of my life).....
Sorry for your loss.

Good that you have that memory from such a hectic cross-country trip. Here's hoping that your next trip to the East Coast will be less stressful.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Easy to turn in

pre inspection at my work during time it was easy for me, big thing is tire wear. They will drive car.

take it back to any dealer

They do paper work. Sign and go

still have to pay that 400 dollar end of lease garbage

I paid many months later

They will not negotiate on residual

look for another after time passes to get over your loss

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Sure glad the turn-in of my 2013 Passion didn’t go the way being described now. If an inspection was performed, it was done after I left the dealership. The only person to approach my ‘13 was the person who removed the tag. I did take delivery of a 2016 at turn-in. The slight over-mileage fee and turn-in fee were both refunded. Tire wear was just about at the point of replacement but no penalty was assessed. I visited the dealer the month before to make arrangements and thoroughly discussed my turn-in obligations. I was told tire wear was no longer considered. Wonder why they don’t also charge for belt wear, ring and bearing wear as well as anything else they could add on. Tire wear should be an expense covered by the lease charge. Ridiculous!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts